TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi, I am worried about my husbands alcohol use. He gets

I am worried about my husband’s alcohol use. He gets tipsy roughly once a week or two. He is able to drink and not get tipsy or not have alcohol at all the other days of the week and does not get tipsy around my friends or family. He is never abusive and otherwise we have a great marriage, he is kind supportive, and my family friends really like him. I have told him that it bothers me to see him tipsy and he understands but wants to be accepted for who he is. We have been married for just o

It sounds like your husband might have an issue with alcohol abuse. There are two different types of alcohol use- alcohol dependence where someone has a physical dependence on alcohol and cannot be without it, or alcohol abuse, where someone use of alcohol is causing problems but they will not stop using.

Someone who continues to use even thought they know that it is causing harm has a problem. Usually, people use because they are struggling to cope with emotional issues. They suffer from stress, depression, anxiety or have low self esteem.

Signs that using alcohol has become a problem include:

Inability or unwillingness to stop

Hostility at the suggestion they stop

Making excuses to use.

Trying to hide how much they use from others (drinking heavily at home but not at social events for example or hiding alcohol in the home, car or at work) is also a symptom.

Because denial is the main obstacle in alcohol abuse recovery, it is often difficult to get the person to understand how their alcohol use is harmful. Breaking through the denial may be a matter of telling the person they are hurting others all the way to needing to confront the person in a group to break through the denial (called an intervention) to help them see their use is hurting others.

To help yourself cope with your husband's use, you can try therapy for both of you. If he will not go, go yourself. You need support to figure out how you want to approach this problem. Also, you can try support groups on line and in person. Here is a link to help:

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/info2/a/blfam.htm

http://dir.yahoo.com/Health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Alcoholism/Support_Groups/

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or more stars? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer.
Thank you so much!