KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

My stepson doesnt respect me and every time i try to discipline

Customer Question

My stepson doesnt respect me and every time i try to discipline him my husband disregards XXXXX XXXXX what do i do we have talked and talked about it but it does no good i feel like a prisoner in my own home what do i so? Hes 15 yrs old and has his daddy behind the carrot.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 1 year ago.
Without the support of your husband, you're very limited in what you can do. I'm guessing you've tried talking to your husband about this but there has been no change. What I can suggest is that you Ignore most of your stepson's behavior. If he's not getting a reaction from you, it may cut down some of the problems. If his behavior rises to the level that you feel something must be done, contact his father, let him know the situation, and ask him what he wants to be done. If he still doesn't give you any help, you can lock yourself in your room or leave the house. Of course, since you're not treated with any respect, then you're under no obligation to do the things for your stepson you might normally do for a child his age. There is no need to give him rides, make his dentist appointments, buy his favorite snacks when you do the shopping, or do his laundry. Since his father doesn't want any help from you in parenting, refer the boy to his father whenever he wants anything. Right now you are in a power struggle that you can't win because your husband undermines your authority. If you stop struggling, it will be leases stressful for you and your husband and stepson may learn something.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So i should stay in this relationship we've been married 2 yrs and have a one yr old. I was always told if ur husband doesn ' It r.espect u there is no relationship I also have a 13 yr old from a previous marriage and no problems with her because i stand behind him maybe I shouldn't??

Before you consider ending you're relationship, I encourage you to try some couples or family therapy first. Your husband isn't respecting you, but he may be able to wake up to that reality with some help.