Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Been taking Lexapro .5 mgs for about 3 months. Originally

Been taking Lexapro .5 mgs for about 3 months. Originally started with Paxil in 02
And it did great. My current doc does not want to prescribe it I suppose because of weight gain. I have been on other SSRIs. They seemto make me sleepy ANd ddisconnected. Exercise helps a little. I am a 48 year old male.
Canyou clarify - what, exactly is your question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I continue with the Lexapro making feel sleepy along with the anxiety? Actually been taking .25 mg for about 3 months and two weeks ago went to .5 mgs.
Did you do this in consultation with your Doctor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not consult him about the med dose change. Originally he had me taking the full 10 mg. I have had success in the past just taking .5. I tried .25 and exercise which helped. Then noticed anxiety coming back, so went back to .5mgs for the last two to three weeks. Probably going through the adjustment of the medication. Probably need to get back with him. Any additional consultation?

Well, yes, you do need to get back to him and get the dose sorted out.

However, you should know that medication alone is not always the complete answer in situations like yours. It commonly works better in conjunction with medication, and for that reason, I’m going to suggest that you would benefit from some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also causes the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

Also, there is a book called ”Feeling good - the new mood therapy” by Dr. David Burns. It has a hand book which gives you practical exercises to work through and further instructions on how to better use CBT. I really do recommend it.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies By Rhena Branch, Rob Willson is also pretty good.

Best wishes, NormanM

If there is any further information you need, please ask before you rate my answer.