KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

My 5 year old grandson is not typical like his older and younger

My 5 year old grandson is not typical like his older and younger brothers. He has a beautiful singing voice, is very dramatic in his body language and loves mermaids. His parents are convinced he will be homosexual if allowed to be himself. I disagree. I am not allowed to be around him because I bought him a mermaid bath toy. I apologized. My ex and his wife buy him all kinds of barbies but they don't scream at them.

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : It is very hard on child to feel they aren't accepted for themselves.
KansasTherapist : It is unlikely that teaching him there is something bad about being gay will change the outcome.

I realize that but they believe by being strict they are going to change him.

KansasTherapist : There is increasing evidence that being gay is ingrained,not a choice.

What would you recommend?

KansasTherapist : I don't think the toys he has will be the biggest factor. The best thing you, as a grandparent, can do, is show him you love him no matter what.
KansasTherapist : When he talks about his interests, listen to him and encourage him.
KansasTherapist : Do his parents have a problem with his singing?

I do those things so they are keeping him away from me. My daughter just told me she doesn't trust me. He wants to be with me because I let him be himself. He cries for me. I am so upset for him. His dad is a lieutenant fire fighter and paramedic. He did Iron Man competition... macho man... he wants all 3 to be TUFF !! The 6 and 2 1/2 year olds are. My 5 year old is not. He is so tender hearted. As far as the singing goes, they will not do anything to help him develop his talent because that is "sissy"

KansasTherapist : Tha tis so sad. I think they are making a big mistake. Nothing they are doing will make change him, except to make him feel unloved.
KansasTherapist : If they won't let you see him, there isn't much you can do.

Can you send this to me in email so I can refer to your responses?

KansasTherapist : I'll change to Q&A and you'll get an email with a link back to this chat.

Thank you. My heart hurts for my little fella.