psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

i would say that i have an addiction to porn but the problem

Customer Question

i would say that i have an addiction to porn but the problem is that recently i have expanded to some pretty strange porn. some being gay some being straight. i even watch fetish porn and get into some pretty disturbing things. i am wondering if this has anything to do with my 2 year dry spell and if i have to be concerned about anything becoming something i would personally like to act upon?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.

It is possible to graduate to strange porn when you are participating in an addiction. An addiction to porn encompasses this movement to stranger forms, an inability to stop viewing it and a negative impact on other areas of your life. There is no proof that people with a porn addiction begin to act on this interest. People can participate in even harder forms of porn and never touch anyone. The biggest red flag when having this compulsive behavior is viewing any images of children. At that point you should seek immediate treatment if you have not done so for this addiction.

Treatment for this addiction is becoming more and more common. There are even 12 step meetings in most states for sexual addiction. SA is beginning to catch on. You would meet others who have graduated to touching. The other red flag is viewing porn at the exclusion of other things. If you feel that you are entertaining thoughts of actual contact or arranging for situations then you should be concerned.

Therapy has been successful in treating a sexual addiction and you can contact the American Psychological Association for therapists in your area.

Please press positive feedback so I am compensated

psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have looked at what is called near nude photos of underage girls roughly in their teens but i have been told that since they are clothed and not participating in any sexually explicit acts that it is not illegal. i am more concerned with the fact that i masturbate 4-5 times a day to usually gay porn or asian porn or old ladies. what do you make of this?

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
You are coming dangerously close to getting in trouble but you would need to check into what is and what is not porn. My concern is that you are entertaining yourself with teens. That is not appropriate and therapeutically is a problem. If you are masturbating that frequently you are meeting criteria for a sexual addiction. All of your behaviors have become compulsive and this can be detracting from your life with the exclusion of other things. I would seek therapy to really evaluate why you need these behaviors. You can find the core of the problem and fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you very much. i think i will seek some help. what kind of therapist should i seek out

Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
A psychologist or therapist can help you with expertise in sexual disorders.