psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

My 18 yr old son has been on anti Depression pills for 3 yes

My 18 yr old son has been on anti Depression pills for 3 yes now and has just admitted he has started to hear voices that tell him things. So far he has been able to ignore them but says its getting harder and now can not sleep due to them . His doctor has recommended him see a psychologist. My question is how do we find the best on in our area for him and do we see a psychologist or psychiatrist?

The difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist is basically that a psychiatrist is a person with a medical license who prescribes medicine. They are well versed in all psychiatrist meds. Unfortunately many are not trained in therapy. They often work with a psychologist or offer very brief therapy for a short time. A psychologist have no ability to prescribe medication and focus instead on therapy and working through your issues in a behavioral way so that permanent change is the goal rather than temporary relief. It is very difficult to know who is very good and who isn't. Sometimes it is trial and error unless you talk to other professionals. You are not obligated to anyone if you do not agree with their opinions. You can find a psychologist by logging onto the American Psychological Association and a psychiatrist through the American Psychiatric Association. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions before you make an appointment or during your initial visit. Go with your instinct.

Please press excellent feedback if this has been helpful