Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Psych web I am taking Prozac for low moods and have done for

Psych web
I am taking Prozac for low moods and have done for the last year. I had low moods due to a ear condition . Having spells of dizziness and sickness a number of times left me feeling anxious and had to give up my job as a practice nurse . I actually haven't taken this medication for a week . Went on holiday and forgot to renew script ! Is there anything else you could suggest rather then taking medication ? I've seen my gp recently but he has not suggested anything else

(Tell Us More or Submit Now to Talk to a Professional)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 1 year ago.

NormanM :

Hello, I'm Norman. Are you ready to chat?

NormanM :

Customer: Yes
NormanM :

Just type when you're ready

NormanM :

Hi. How much Przac were you taking?

Customer: Yes I'm ready
NormanM :

How much Prozac were you taking?

Customer: 40mgs daily
NormanM :

And you stopped suddenly?

Customer: Well went on holiday for a week and ran out !
NormanM :

Right. I think that initially, you should get back on to your previous dose, and taper off gradually, so as to avoid any unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

Customer: Ok
NormanM :

In addition, it would be worthwhile talking to your GP about changing your medication if it was not having the desired effect.

Customer: Not really wanting to take medication
NormanM :

Has your sizziness and sickness been explored and diagnosed, and if so, what was the diagnosis?

NormanM :

I understand the entirely, but still, it would be better to taper off gradually.

Customer: Yes . Saw a ENT consultant and was diagnosed meneires
NormanM :

Right. You said you have seen a psychologist. Was that just a one - off visit, and what kind of therapy did he or she offer?

Customer: I saw him about four times . Positive thinking etc .I did feel better after but at the time I had started Prozac so could have that . I have been feeling up and down for the last few weeks and tearful
NormanM :

Are you familiar with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?

Customer: Yes
NormanM :

Hve you considered that as an approach?

Customer: Yes but feel my gp would have suggested it but hasn't
NormanM :

You cannot always rely on a gp to do that. I relly belive that it would be benefici9al to you, so ask your GP about it. Often, it is available on the NHS.

NormanM :

Now, have you ever been in touch with the Menieres Society?

Customer: Ok I have apt with her tomorrow
NormanM :

That's great

Customer: No
NormanM :

The would help you to. You'll find their website here

NormanM :

It's a rfeally good resourc e an source of support for you

NormanM :

I'm sorry about the typos. New keyboard, so I have to slow down!

Customer: Ok . I have lost all my hearing in my rt ear Which is another reason I think I feel the way I do . I have a hearing aid which I'm finding difficult to come to terms with . I do use it at times but not finding it very useful. That makes me anxious, thinking I may also lose the hearing in my other ear
NormanM :

Sadly, it's impossible to reassure you that the hearing loss will never happen. I'm of the view that if you use the Menieres website and it's links tohelp you manage your condition, and get some CBT, you anxiety levels will drop substantiall, and that quite probably, you won't need to use medication.

Customer: One last question . I've had a very unsettled childhood c. In foster homes since I was 10 yrs old and sexually abused by a foster father . My mother had a mental illness . Who would I go to help me through this.
NormanM :

Actually, your CBT therapist. Altough the therapy is not focussed on the impact of earlier life events on a person's current mental health, it does prov ide a way of understanding and dealing with earlier trauma. So you would be getting two for the price of one!

Customer: Could you recommend one
NormanM :

If you are happy to tell me where you live, I'll have a look for you.

Customer: Cheltenham glos
NormanM :

Give me a minute

Customer: Thanks
NormanM :

I'd have a look at these two websites and talk to the therapists concerned

NormanM :

http://cheltenhamcbt.com/?page_id=13

http://www.clarebootle.co.uk/About-Me.html

NormanM :

Ther ar others inj the area, but some of them are a bit coy about their qualifications and background.

Customer: Ok Thanks so much Norman. I will follow your advice!
NormanM :

Glad to help. I wish you the best!

Experience: ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.