Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

My son whos 9 fist had this particular episode last Friday

My son who's 9 fist had this particular episode last Friday .. Since then, thrice yesterday and thrice today. Basically he feels that his towel/t-shirt/blanket/remote control needs to be made into another towel/t-shirt/blanket/remote control.. He tries to remove these thoughts from his head and is scared and overwhelmed and comes to me crying. Only after hugging him and praying can I get him to calm down.. What could be happening to him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi thereThank you for writing in here.Let me ask you a few questions first before I answer:Does he have any medical condition?Does he have anxiety and depression?How is he doing in school lately?Do you have any specific question that I should answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He doesn't have any medical condition other than sinus/allergies etc. He has never had anxiety/depression before. He's been doing well in school although the teacher did call me last week to say he looks forlorn and withdrawn and is not his usual bubbly self.

Two months ago my husband took him and fled the country when I was at work one day. He was running away from a pile of debts -- illegal moneylenders -- none of which the family knew about. He went to Australia and dropped my boy off at my brother's place in Melbourne. We were already booked to go on a holiday there so my boy was none the wiser about why he and dad had taken off a fortnight early. So, i went two weeks later, got him and brought him home. When he was home I explained what his dad had done. I am not sure how much this has got to do with all the episodes but he's been very angry with the dad. My husband has since made arrangements to pay off his debts and is in touch with the kids daily. He is still in Australia. My boy although he talks to the dad admits that he is also very angry with him.

I hope this background helps.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I was offline all weekend due to other duties.
I"ll be back with my answer tonight.
If you have any update or new question, let me know.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting. I had to be away from computer all this weekend.

It sounds like your 9 year old son exhibits a lot of anxiety as he
he feels that his towel/t-shirt/blanket/remote control needs to be made into another towel/t-shirt/blanket/remote control.
He has never had anxiety/depression before. He's been doing well in school.
But, the teacher called you last week and reported he looks forlorn and withdrawn.
You also stated that two months ago your husband took him and fled the country all of a sudden when you were at work.
He went to Australia and dropped your son off at your brother's place in Melbourne.
You went there two weeks later. So, he was left at his uncle’s home for two weeks without his parents. You explained what his dad had done to him. Your son has been very angry with his dad. Your husband is still in Australia.
It sounds like your son’s anxiety has to do with what he went through (your husband took him and fled the country all of a sudden. He dropped his son off at your brother's place without any explanation to his son.) lately.
Indeed, your son told he is very angry with his dad.
Does he tell you exactly what he is angry about? It could be many.
It’s definitely hurtful and anxiety provoking that his dad took him to another country without you and had him stayed with his uncle family without any explanation.
I can imagine how anxious and confused he must have felt about his situation then or now.
He may be emotionally overwhelmed by what happened to him by his dad that he trusted.
He could never imagined that his dad took him and fled the country all of a sudden; left him to his uncle’s house without any explanation for two weeks until you rescued him.
Your son may be developing anxiety now. He may need to hear from you and his dad that this would NEVER happen to him again. It may take a while for your son to recover from this trauma. If his condition persists for two weeks, you may consider taking him to a child therapist specializing in play therapy and anxiety/trauma for assessment and therapy.
Child-mother therapy (you and your son both attend psychotherapy) may be an option as well.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but i need to confirm one piece of fact. My husband fled the country with my boy. But once he got to my brother's home my brother managed to talk sense into him. He stayed there with my boy till I went there to get him. He is still in my brother's home and is looking to get a new job in a new country to pay up his debts. he calls home to talk to the kids daily. But my boy is still occasionally angry. So could these attacks then still be linked to the events of two months ago?

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting. I had to be offline all day due to other duties.

Okay. So, actually your husband stayed with your son until you got there.
Does your boy tell you what makes him angry about his dad?
It's helpful to know his words - "he is angry at his dad because ...?"

It's important for you and your husband to really listen to his feelings at this time.
Yes, I imagine his episodes may have to do with what happened to him two months ago, unless he is experiencing stress lately (for example, being bullied by his peer at school etc..). In other words, your son may still feeling anxious about something as a result of the events of two months ago.
Feel free to ask me a question.
I hope your son is well now.
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist