Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I am totally out of control. Thinking too much about my life

Customer Question

I am totally out of control. Thinking too much about my life and future. I smoke more than 20 cigarettes per day. I can not leave smoking and it also bring me too much stress. I'm a web programmer and I should spend more than 6 hours online to do my job. My mind is too much busy that even I can not work. I do not see the present, all my thinking is about tomorrow, next year, next 10 years. I am worry about everything you imagine. Please let me know how can I exit this stress!

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You seem to be suffering from high anxiety, and are also a heavy smoker. Smoking often calms people down, rather than make them more stressful, but evidently does not work for you.

There is a popular smoking cessation drug called Chantrix. It is 44% effective, or so say its manufacturers, but it has many DANGEROUS side effects and I don't recommend it.

There is a medication that also helps with smoking cessation, and helps with anxiety and depression. You don't gain weight with it and it doesn't destroy your sex life. It is called bupropion and is sold under the brand names of Zyban and Wellbutrin.

It is not as harmful as some other antidepressants, and might be a medication to discuss with your physician.

In addition to antianxiety medications, talking with a counselor or other therapist, in addition to taking medication, is often the best way to work on your problems.

I urge you to talk to your health care provider about this medication and about finding a caring therapist who works with anxiety, or perhaps with smoking cessation as well.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you think all my stress will be solved with leaving smoking? What I do to control my mind and stop thinking about bad situations and being worry about everything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
The expert also suggested you may consider working with a counselor to treat anxiety that you have.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Are you open to psychological counseling?
Is there a specific question I can assist you with?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually I just want to know how to change myself and exit this stressful life. Let me give you an example:

Yesterday I found a small dot in my mobile screen and I had to break it and buy a new one. I did the same thing on my laptop. I want it to be so clean like a new and if anything no matter what small it is happen to my laptop I replace it. I have already changed 7 laptops in the past year. I can not sleep until I replace it. I do not know why I am acting like this, but I really can not control myself. I want everything to be as I expect to be, if not then, I destroy whole my day and smoke more than normal, do not work and so on... Please help me and tell me how can I change myself? Believe me that I have tried hard but I can not stop thinking about such small things.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
You may have anxiety disorder.
When did this start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Since I was 18 yr. I am now 27 yr.

In the past 2 years it is almost tripled than before.

For your information, I am very very angry person and react on everything.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Typo mistake. I am "now" 27 yr.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
Thank you for your reply.
Okay, this started since 18.
so you think you are generally anxious, angry and irritable.
Have you had trouble focusing in childhood?
Have you ever been diagnosed as having ADHD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually I am not sure about ADHD, I do not know what it is. I never spoke to a doctor regarding this problem before.

I had so many family problems in childhood but my life now is good. Actually better than what I expected. I have no other health problem, I have enough money for my life, I have good family. But I do not see these good things and only focus on problems and I scare too much of future problems. Focus too much to prove God. Focus too much on Politics. I think too much about everything expect my happiness and good life.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did some research about ADHD on google and the sings exactly fit me. Specially this sign:

Frequently switch from one activity to another!

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, Thank you for your response.

It sounds like you suffer from anxiety and depression.

To note, if you have ADHD, you also have anxiety and depression.

Perhaps, you went through a lot emotionally in childhood as you stated you had so many family problems in childhood. You may also have been under lots of stress from work. You are a web programmer and spends more than 6 hours online. You stated you are very very angry and reactive to all. You have trouble seeing good things in your life and focus on problems all the time. You are worried about your future a lot. You seem to have clinical anxiety and depression based on your report. Perhaps, you are perfectionist and are hard on yourself. It's not uncommon for people of your age to develop anxiety and depression due to work stress, relationships and life transitions.

In any case, I would advise you to start working with a psychologist specializing in anxiety/depression and Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT). CBT works for ADD/ADHD as well as anxiety and depression.

Symptoms of anxiety overlap those of depression. Let me explain: Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease to name a few. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. You are physically healthy. So, your anxiety and depression may be psychological issues. Excessive alcohol use and smoking may aggravate anxiety and depression. I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and anxiety. You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area. Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee. Regarding pharmacological treatment for depression anxiety, a number of antidepressant and antianxiety medications are available to treat anxiety and depression. Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you. Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime. Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood. In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and reduce anxiety. Other recommendations are: Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs. Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day. Spend time in nature weekly Try to have pleasurable activities with friends and family. Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood. Set limits on the amount of time you spend on the internet to avoid information overload. I hope you get well. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist