Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

MS - 211

Customer Question

can fear of life be unlearned? is there a special therapy that will help people with anxiety that is causing debilitating fear be overcome?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 2 years ago.

NormanM :

Hello, I'm Norman. Are you ready to chat?

Customer :

Hi

Customer :

ok

NormanM :

Hi - what have you tried so far?

Customer :

some medication prozac and i did talk with a dr

NormanM :

Right - are you still taking Prozac?

Customer :

after a while of some relief i began to feel fearful again and my dr thought to have me stop taking it so im not no

NormanM :

I really think that you need to talk to your Doc again. However, medication alone is not a complete answer. Most often medication combined with psychotherapy produces a much better result.

NormanM :

NormanM :

Are you familiar with the the concept of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Customer :

i have heard of it i just dont know how it can help. my daily life is just so uncomfortable i often think theres only one way to stop the suffering and i know it sounds horrible but why suffer and those around me to suffer as well?

NormanM :

The fact is that it is THE best way of dealing with issues like yours. Now I have a handout that I give to my patients to introduce them to the concept. Would you like me to post it on here for you?

NormanM :

Customer :

ok

NormanM :

I'll do that for you, but your last reply suggests to me that you may well be suffering from depression as well as anxiety, so I shall factor that in.

NormanM :

You need to be sure that your Doc is aware of this very low mood, and let's be honest, suicidal thinking so that he can treat you properly. Anyway - here goes with the handout

NormanM :

Take your time, have a read, then tell me what you think.

NormanM :

Part of the problem is that you may be suffering from mixed anxiety and depression - depression is causing you to feel bad, and the other part is that your negative thinking about your life situation is just adding to that.

Both these things can be dealt with by a combination of proper medication and a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

The first thing you need to do is to see your Doctor – he will give you a full diagnosis and if appropriate, start your on a suitable anti-depressant medication. He will also want to rule out any physical cause of what you is experiencing.

Depression is seen as a chemical imbalance in the brain, just as diabetes is a chemical imbalance in the body. Diabetics take medication to stay well, why shouldn’t you?

Don’t be afraid of taking medication – it could really help turn your whole life around

Two important issues about this - when you is on medication, you must take it at the correct dose and as prescribed. It is no use missing doses or messing around with the dose.

Secondly, you should know that anti-depressants can take up to 8 weeks from the start of therapy before they begin to show beneficial effects, so it's no use quitting after two weeks.

I mentioned CBT - is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Make the first step NOW – get an appointment with your Doc, and you can start to get better.

You’ll also find some very good help here:

http://www.depression.com/

Customer :

is there such a thing as a

special therapist focused on sensitive people

NormanM :

I think that you will find that any therapist who is properly trained and licensed is completey and totally aware of the sensitivities of their clients. After all they come to see us when they are confused, lost vulnerable and afraid. So please do not be worried on that score.

NormanM :

Customer :

ty

NormanM :

When you do look for a CBT therapist in your area, make sure that you 'interview' at least three of the on the phone, and go with the one you

d

Experience: ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.