KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

My daughter (8 1/2 months pregnant), husband, and their daughter

My daughter (8 1/2 months pregnant), husband, and their daughter (2 3/4 years old) moved from their west coast apartment to a big new house in Massachusets. I live in San Francisco, and am staying wtih them at the request of my daughter, to help when the baby arrives, and my grandaughter who previously adored me, screams and runs away from me most of the time. Most of the time, she won't look at me or talk to me. Although, when she and I go for walks, she is her same loving self. Her parents are very supportive, talk to her about grandma's feelings, but don't force the issue. I agree with their approach.
I'm pretty sure Avery is expressing stress associated with the move. What can I do? It's been a week, and I am getting frustrated and hurt. When she seems open to hearing me, I tell her that her that it hurts grandms's feelings when she turns away from me and won't talk to me - maybe once a day. Is there anything else I can try?
I'm sorry to hear that your grand daughter is having such a hard time and is taking it out on you. Clearly, it isn't helping to tell her her behavior is hurting your feelings. I wonder if she isn't feeling that you're there to help with the baby and therefore will be abandoning her. Perhaps when Mom isn't around, obviously reminding her the baby is almost here, she is less fearful of what will happen. On your walks you could try talking about things the two of you will do after the baby comes. Reassure her that she is and always be special to you. It may help for the two of you to plan something to do after your walk like play a game or make cookies. This may calm things down at home.