Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

what kind of Psychiatrist do I need, I feel alot of stress

what kind of Psychiatrist do I need, I feel alot of stress and don't know why

Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

Are you still taking the ativan?

Dr. Rossi :

A psychiatrist would be one that would prescribe and manage medications and they rarely provide psychotherapy/talk therapy.

Dr. Rossi :

Any psychiatrist would be able to do an assessment and suggest medication. Are you possibly inquiring about what mental health professional you may be able to see to help you manage your stress/anxiety level w/o medication?

Customer:

Yes, I really would like to find out why I am the way I am. I need someone who can get to the bottom of this. I am tired of feeling the way I do. Everyday is a challenge

Dr. Rossi :

Is your GP prescribing the ativan? Is this stress from external triggers or as a result of things you think/worry about?

Dr. Rossi :

You can consult with a psychiatrist who would evaluate you and then offer medication options. That is if you want medication. Another professional that you can see is a psychologist who can also diagnose but can't prescribe medication.

Dr. Rossi :

If you decide to work w/ a therapist (psychologist, counselor,social worker) you may want to find someone who specializes in another discipline such as Neurofeedback or hypnotherapy in addition to talk therapy.

Customer:

I work graveyard and sometimes I cant sleep and he has prescribed it for that. I try to talk to him about the way I feel, but he seems to shrug it off as everyday stress and says to get more exercise. I have been trying to take the ativan to cut the edgyness out.

Dr. Rossi :

Sleep disturbance can cause changes in one's mood. Your GP can still prescribe medication. Or, you could use a psychiatrist to possibly look at other medications. So, it would be a personal choice of which one does the evaluation - a psychologist or a psychiatrist. If you connect w/ a psychologst from the start, you may decide to work w/ them in counseling (if you're interested)

Customer:

Lately I have been experiencing a heavy full feeling in my head and I guess it is stress

Dr. Rossi :

It may be something that medication alone won't be sufficient and you'd want to speak to someone. Stress can cause headaches but you would want to rule out other causes i.e. neurological. How is your mood?

Customer:

I am interested in counceling to know myself better and not just hand me a bottle of pills. Only if last resort

Dr. Rossi :

If your work offers EAP benefits (employee assistance) you can possibly see a counselor for some free sessions.

Dr. Rossi :

The medication could help w/ the brain chemistry getting back to its base line.

Dr. Rossi :

Is this something that had started most recently or something that has been going on for a while?

Dr. Rossi :

There are also natural options to medication.

Customer:

I have always had alittle anxiety and found that it was coming from an overactive thyroid. I had ablation for the problem and now I am on Levothroid once a day. My mood is up and down, I havent any patience here lately and just feel kinda out of it sometimes. Socialy I am a mess and run from social gatherings.

Dr. Rossi :

There seem to be few things going on. The possibility of GAD (general anxiety disorder) or social anxiety. The fluctuation in mood may be cauased by a mood disorder i.e. bipolar if you find yoursef switching from depressed to manic. If it is just being irritable, that can occur in mood disorders and as a result of sleep deprivation.

Dr. Rossi :

Both mood disorders and anxiety disorders can be treated w/ counseling and medication. It would be a personal choice and based on the severity of symptoms which way to go about it.

Customer:

Who could I see to evaluate me?

Dr. Rossi :

If you want medication- any psychiatrist in your insurance network can do it. If you want counseling, you can get the free counseling for few sessions through EAP. Or, use an in network counselor under your insurance if you have coverage. Whether it is a psychologist, social worker or counselor then would only be a personal choice. Other things to consider would be

Dr. Rossi :

what kind of therapy they provide, what your schedule is like, how much time you want to allow yourself to participate in this

Customer:

I would walk to the moon if there was someone there that could help me get over this.

Dr. Rossi :

There are really no differences b/w psychiatrists they are all MDs. Only b/w therapists

Dr. Rossi :

It is treatable

Dr. Rossi :

If I was you, I'd make an appt. w/ a psychiatrist who works in the same practice w/ a therapist

Dr. Rossi :

That way you can receive treatment at the same place.

Customer:

I guess I could look on my healthnet website for one

Dr. Rossi :

See if you have EAP first

Dr. Rossi :

It would save some copay $

Customer:

Would my boss find out about it?

Dr. Rossi :

Best phone the insurance to ask for a referal to a group practice that has psychiatrist and counselor. EAP is not someting your boss would find about. It is a clinical service provided off site

Customer:

Ok I will do that, Thank you

Dr. Rossi :

sure

Dr. Rossi :

The insurance case managers can help you obtain an appt withing a reasonable time.

Customer:

Last question? Do you know the best medication I could mention to my doctor for Social Anxiety / Depression with mininal side effects? or should I leave that to the Therapist

Dr. Rossi :

Cymbalta.

Dr. Rossi :

But you can always discuss w/ the MD

Dr. Rossi :

different options

Customer:

Ok Thank you very much for you time

Dr. Rossi :

you welcome