psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

I am suffering really badly as I have discovered that my partner

I am suffering really badly as I have discovered that my partner has had a bad obsession with hard pornography for a number of years. I now am racked that he has images of naked women in all sorts of positions which I thought was special for just us. He said he stopped in 2009 so how long will these images persist in his memory. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 4 years ago.

It is very traumatic to find a spouse with an addiction to porn. One partner often feels violated and even compares these images to themselves. You are experiencing a typical reaction. The images may persist until you find closure. This means that you have to feel that he is trustworhy again and that your sex life is personal to the two of you not on a screen. You can find a therapist that is trained in treating sexual disorders. This is not as hard as it used to be now that we accept that pornography is an addiction. There are even meetings - Sexual Addicts Anonymous. You feel violated at this point and that he has betrayed your sexual interest in him. He is interacting with a screen and this can be very intimidating. This is where a counselor can help. These images can go away with an intervention. You have to process your feelings and his. This is comparable to drugs and that deserves being addressed as such. Find a therapist by logging onto the American psychological Association.

Please press excellent service so that I am compensated