KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

I had a CT urogram over a month ago, to check on microscopic

I had a CT urogram over a month ago, to check on microscopic hematuria which i've had as long as I can remember, results found no cause for the hematuria. I asked urologist at just ask about danger radiation I was exposed to -18 Msv-and was reassured it wouldn't cause harm. but I've been continuing to read obsessively online, actual medical and radiology articles, and increasing anxiety and obsessiveness about having caused myself to have a future cancer from this scan. Also critical of myself for not questioning more and insisting on other, less dangerous way to evaluate. I have history of anxiety with obsessive thoughts, and have used lexapro. Have been off it for over a year, wondering if I should consider going back on, now using xanax. Alot of anxiety on waking in morning, can't enjoy activities during the day. Would prefer not going back on antidepressant, but can't tolerate feeling like this too much longer either. I'm 62.
Taking Lexapro would be much better for you than taking Xanax. Xanax is physically addictive and best used only in the short term. Many people are reluctant to stay on antidepressants even though they benefit from them. It's fine to try going off of them to see if you can do without, but when the symptoms return it's time to go back on. What's your reason for not wanting to be on Lexapro?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure if it's recommended to be on ssri for prolonged time after age 60.
When looking at benefit vs risk, SSRIs are worth the limited risk, even among the elderly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are the risks?
There can be dizziness which increases fall risk, especially if there is a problem with stability to begin with. Sexual dysfunction can be an issue, as well as, weight loss, again, if they are problems already for the patient. Drug interactions also have to be considered, depending on what other medication the patient is taking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think I should give the anxiety/obsessiveness more time to subside before starting antidepressant?
If it was me, no, I wouldn't wait, but everyone's tolerance is different. You wrote in your question that you couldn't take feeling the way you do much longer. I don't see any reason for you to continue to be miserable.