psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

Hi, after 17 years together, most of it happy, my partner and

Hi, after 17 years together, most of it happy, my partner and and I split because of my drink problem. We've been apart 18 months. He can see I have stayed sober. What are the chance of reconciliation?

Reconciliation is possible with any amount of time as long as both partners want this to happen. You can begin by being honest with him so that he knows that reconciliation is something you really want. If you have been sober for a length of time then this is a great time to be honest. With such a lengthy relationship it may be possible that he too wants to have the relationship now that your minds are in the right place. Staying sober allows him to recognize that you are serious about your drinking problem and the relationship. If you want to reassure him beyond being sober you may also have a counselor to move past the old wounds or find a meeting for support. You can join together AA and Alanon. This can help you with the issues you face in the future and give him more reassurance.

Please press excellent service so i am compensated