Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

if a male is having a bipolar episode and has previously been

if a male is having a bipolar episode and has previously been diagnosed as bipolar 1 severe with psychotic features and is engaging in homosexual acts does this mean he is homosexual or could it just be the episode and will he remember it later when well?

NormanM :

Hello, I'm Norman. Are you ready to chat?

Customer:

yes

NormanM :

Great. Can you tell me, is this person having a manic episode?

Customer:

yes, but cycling

NormanM :

OK - did he ever engage in homosexual activity before his diagnosis, or does he do so during depressive phase?

Customer:

not that i am aware of. i would say no.

Customer:

he is also dressing in female clothing

NormanM :

Has he cross dressed previous to diagnosis?

Customer:

he does not get depressed only manic, hypomanic

Customer:

no

NormanM :

Right. Let's get the female clothing issue dealt with first. Men who cross dress are very rarely homosexual.

Customer:

also he left a long term relationship just like that as he became manic.

NormanM :

Secondly his homosexual behavior seems to be clearly a part of the episode his going through just now. He may well remember it later, or he may not. There is no way of prediciting that, I'm afraid.

Customer:

ok but people have reported that he is having sex with men

NormanM :

That's as may be. However, I do think frpm all you have said, that his homosexual behavior is a simple result his current eposode, not a basic part of his personality. If you are in a sexual relationship with him, you have to be vary careful to protect your own health too

Customer:

thank you. he has left his family, friends, girlfriend. we dont know how to help

NormanM :

All you can do at present is to be supportive, and when this episode comes to an end, try to presuade him to get himself tested for sexually transmitted disease.

Customer:

is it possible for this to end without medication although previous episodes have lasted a yr .

NormanM :

It is possible, but frankly, unlikely.

Customer:

thank you . you have been very helpful.

NormanM :

I'm delighted to have been able to help you.