DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.

do i have add/adhd? ok so ive done some researches and went

do i have add/adhd?
ok so i've done some researches and went to forums to read about others conditions
but i do not want to self diagnose.
more details to how everything affected me:

Academy
when i was really young, i excel in classes. i was an A student until second year of high school. homework was sparse and subjects were easy and common sense.
3rd year of high school was when i had to start learning detailed subjects like chemistry, etc etc.. i went from being an A to F.. until now, my grades are constantly Cs and Ds. Lots of Fs. I am not able to read for more than 2-3 minutes and I am so unmotivated and uninterested in school. I also always talk and text (coz i need someone to talk to) in class and I just cant focus or I can't understand what the prof is sayin.

Past relationship
I realize I had bad tempers and was obsessive at times. When we argued, I would always cut him (it was auto response and i couldnt wait to answer him back.. and i didnt realize i cut him until he told me i always did and it was rude)

Myself
-I lost things like phone, key, papers, glasses and even money. I'm forgetful and clumsy. Get to the point I got locked out often in the past when I didn't have a roommate.
-I get bored a little too easily.. I can't focus especially to things I'm not interested in. So, I multitask like (chat, play games, listen to music, and sometimes watch something)
-I can't stay quiet like doing meditation. I will be done in 1 minute and I see no point of doing it. I can't walk at the beach and stay quiet, I like fun and doing something. I have to do something if not I'll get bored and I'll eat. My mind always think of something and it never stops working.
-I did yoga and the instructor said focus on my breathing. Never.. I couldn't focus at all coz i was thinking of something else and even thought of my posture rather than my breathing.
-I plan stuffs like 9am i'll be doing A, 10am B, etc. but never followed them. I would have some changes last minute and I would end up be late for everything. I'm always late..
I'm always messy since i was really young. i'd clean things up and 5 minutes later things are messy again.
-This part is what I hate the most: I love music, I love singing and playing guitar and I love dancing. BUT.. I would never finish what I started. I'd learn to sing, once i get a bit better I stop and never get to the advance level and I HATE THAT!!! I WANT TO BE VERY GOOD AT IT AND WHY AM I LAZY AND UNMOTIVATED?!!! I WANT TO FOCUS JUST FOR ONCE!!!
-Eating vitamin or pills constantly daily? NEVER! I would always forget to take any needed medication. Its not gonna be perfect.
-I don't have a diary to keep track of things I'm doing. I forget appointments.
-I delay everything and turn in everything last minute or even 1-2 weeks or a month later.
-Overly self concious to the point I bother people telling them I'm fat and ugly. constantly comparing and searching for ways to go on diet but always failed coz whenever I'm bored or stressed I'll grab something sweet and fatty to satisfy myself.
-I'm hyper since I was young. People said its fun when I'm around coz i'm loud and funny.. but there was a guy who said, if I knew the time to keep quiet it was better coz it was pretty annoying. i talked loudly and was always hyper.
-as i'm typing this i get distracted like surfing about something else or playing with my hair.
-SO HARD to make a decision i dont know why

Work
-I quit my job after a month (I don't know why)
-If i wasnt given an opportunity to learn in a week to get used to it, I am forgetful and I stumble a lot. (the only way to memorize and remember things for me is to get used to it and i have to do it repeatedly and constantly)

Social
-I used to have lots of friends.. well.. lets count how many i have now..
wait.. wth? I don't have any.. Poor me.. luckily my dog lucy survives living with me in a great condition.

I want to put all these to a stop and I want to be able to be an expert in singing. I want to be constantly rehearsing and constantly motivated and focus. I want to excel. People tell me I'm smart and I'd do soooooooooooooo much better if I actually tried harder and if I wasn't lazy. Look.. I don't know what it is, but I just tried and I can't.. Am I lazy or do I have a disorder? check this out.. this describes me best http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94015
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 1 year ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

I am reading your post again --

Customer:

ok

Customer:

if you have any additional question, please do ask

DrFee :

What you describe is consistent with AHDD --if you would like a definitive diagnosis, I would suggest that you get what is called a queeg --it is a scan that Psychologists who use Neurofeedback can generally perform. It looks at the pattern of your brain waves. I have a short article about it...I'll post the link.

Customer:

oh ok.. yes pls

DrFee :

I would not go to a clinic that charges a tremendous amount of money for this --you should be able to find a practitioner who charges a reasonable fee.

DrFee :

Let me get you a link for finding someone.....

Customer:

uh ok.. i'm still a student and i'm super broke

Customer:

i support myself so..

DrFee :

Do you have health insurance?

Customer:

and i just am not patient and i cant wait another 2 weeks for my school's doctor to see me

Customer:

i do have health insurance for students from my school

DrFee :

Usually that type of insurance only covers extreme illness and accident.

Customer:

i saw this doctor once and tried to explain myself and she thought i had a depression instead

DrFee :

What kind of doctor?

Customer:

she was a psychiatrist

Customer:

i'm not sure what kind of doctor i should be seeing

Customer:

but i've been in misery for years and i couldnt seem to find an answer until i talked to a friend with adhd

DrFee :

I would suggest a Psychologist because we tend to do more comprehensive testing in addition to a clinical interview.

DrFee :

Does your school have a counseling center?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

the psychiatrist is the only doctor working in thes

DrFee :

OK...that might be the route you should go

Customer:

*there

DrFee :

OH

Customer:

the others are like interns

DrFee :

That's too bad

Customer:

and she was about to give me z something to treat my depression

Customer:

zolof

Customer:

yeah

DrFee :

What kind of interns? Medical or Psychology? Why did she think you don't have ADHD?

Customer:

psychology

Customer:

psychiatrist i think

Customer:

well

Customer:

i came in and asked them

Customer:

told them i couldnt focus etc.. but i did great in high school.. then i suddenly lost focus bla bla bla

DrFee :

If they are psychology interns, they should be able to do some testing. Probably not the QUEEG, but some other testing that could still be helpful.

Customer:

i didnt tell them too much into details

Customer:

all they did was kept asking me if i wanted to suicide

Customer:

i was like wth..

DrFee :

Sounds like maybe they didn't listen perhaps?

Customer:

i went to see a counselor every week to talk about myself and my days..

Customer:

and my so called depression got better

Customer:

now i'm no longer depressed

Customer:

BUT

Customer:

this thing that bothers me remains

Customer:

SO

Customer:

yes here i am confirming what I read and discovered

Customer:

maybe they didnt think of adhd coz i said i did well in high school

DrFee :

That could be. But, people with ADHD can compensate, good performance in h.s. does not rule it out.

DrFee :

Increased stress, like starting college, can break down one's ability to compensate.

DrFee :

And make the symptoms worse.

Customer:

yes

DrFee :

Let me see if I can find you a good screening test to take on line.....

Customer:

i'm not sure to why they ignored

Customer:

but i do need an affordable option to treat this

Customer:

i want to be normal

DrFee :

Yes, of course!! The question is if you can get the Psychiatrist to listen....let me look for a minute.....

Customer:

okay and thank you

DrFee :

Here's one --I'm going to look a little bit further

DrFee :

This one is a bit more comprehensive --

Customer:

i will try them

Customer:

how much does it cost to do the qeeg test?

Customer:

usually

DrFee :

It depends --but I'd expect between $125-300 depending on where you are and were you go.

Customer:

ugh,,

Customer:

no option under $100?

DrFee :

But, that's much cheaper than what I used to do --used to give a full battery of assessment around $1100 !!!

Customer:

omg

DrFee :

Yes --the cheaper alternative is to see another Psychiatrist

Customer:

my score is 85

DrFee :

$100 -175 or so

Customer:

the questions are describing me

DrFee :

I figured ! From what you wrote

Customer:

okay.. i do have another question

DrFee :

OK

Customer:

to treat this thing

Customer:

do i need a med?

Customer:

my friend told me he had to take concerta

DrFee :

Meds will help you focus, they won't change anything permanently.

Customer:

ah..

DrFee :

Neurofeedback has the potential to make permanent changes

Customer:

what is that

DrFee :

www.eeginfo.com -- it's where you train your brain waves to behave differently

DrFee :

Takes time, though. You could always do it later, after you graduate -- and use meds for now.

DrFee :

Unless you can find a nonprofit or training clinic that offers it....

Customer:

oh.. uhm that must be super expensive?

DrFee :

As a student, I worked at a training center where we offered it cheap --so maybe you can find something like that. You can find private Psychologists who offer it at the same rate as a therapy session, and you can find clinics that charge a TON for it 0-0

DrFee :

The 0-0 means nothing ;)

Customer:

aha..

Customer:

how much does it cost when it's cheap?

Customer:

and if that can change my brain, then doesnt that mean i'm not myself though?

DrFee :

No ---not really we're talking about speed of various brain waves, and they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. It doesn't have anything to do with personality.

Customer:

oh ok..

DrFee :

Clinics with sliding scale fees ---can vary so much ---depends --you might find something for as little as $10 per session, or you might not find anything under $40

Customer:

so you're saying adhd people's brains are working differently than what a normal brain supposes to work?

DrFee :

Yes --the brain with ADHD tends to need to be stressed in order to focus

DrFee :

So --on the QUEEG there's a task where you play Ms. Pac Man with your brain --and then they can look at how your brain waves are functioning.

DrFee :

I'm not the best at explaining it, I don't think ---

Customer:

lol

Customer:

its alright

Customer:

so..

Customer:

the test is to play pacman?

Customer:

what if i just cant keep imagining pacman..

Customer:

i mean..

DrFee :

That is one task ---that my friend has --you don't need to imagine.

Customer:

ow..

DrFee :

Doesn't hurt ---you are hooked up to a computer with little electrode things pasted to your scalp in two places

DrFee :

And the computer shows your brain wave activity. There's a Ms Pac man (I'm sure others use something different) and if your brain waves are doing certain things...she goes, if they do other things, she stops

Customer:

ahh~

Customer:

i got it

DrFee :

While that is happening, the Psychologist can look at the different brain waves and see how they are behaving.

DrFee :

It's pretty cool---

Customer:

it sounds cool

Customer:

i wonder if its fun

Customer:

but thank you for the information

DrFee :

Yes, it is. For the therapy -- you watch a movie --if your brain waves function correctly, the movie plays. If they don't the movie stops!

DrFee :

You bring your own movie ----

DrFee :

The brain learns what to do ---

DrFee :

You are welcome --I hope that you can try it at some point. But, more importantly for now, is finding someone who will listen.

DrFee :

Because at the very least, the meds could help you a lot for now.

Customer:

thats true

Customer:

i really want to change this

Customer:

well.. thank you so much!

Customer:

i appreciate the info.. :)

DrFee :

You're welcome!

DrFee :

Take good care!

Customer:

you too.. have a good nite

DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.