Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach
64783947

potty training for a 27 month boy

potty training for a 27 month boy
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

Hi. It is not uncommon for boys to take their time with potty training. Does he make pee pee on the potty? Or is it just poop that he is having difficulty?

CoachJenK :

Hi. are you here with me?

Customer:

he does do pee on occasion

CoachJenK :

ok that is a good start. Poo poo can take longer as it is more scary for him to let that go because at that age developmentally he believes that it is like a body part.

CoachJenK :

I wouldnt rush it or put any pressure on him as that will cause him to go backward. It needs to be an easy and pleasant transition for him.

CoachJenK :

there are a few things you could try....if you know there are certain times of the day he poops then you can put him in a diaper during those times. this will take some pressure off and he will be the guide as to when he is ready.

CoachJenK :

the other thing you can do is have him sit on the potty 3--4 times a day but for only 3-5 minutes at a time. Make those times at the same time each day. If he doesn't go then praise him for trying.

CoachJenK :

don't coax, plead, yell or anything.

CoachJenK :

you may also want to buy some "targets" that he can use as he can find it to be more fun.

CoachJenK :

have him help you create a chart and color it together and each time he goes on the potty he gets his favorite sticker.

CoachJenK :

how does this sound to you?

Customer:
Customer:

sounds good i will draw up a chart with him and go from there

CoachJenK :

perfect and try and follow the routine above. less pressure..more fun and let him be your guide.

CoachJenK :

If you need any firther support please come back anytime.

CoachJenK :

Please take a moment to click on the rating tab and offer a rating of my work. My goal is excellent service.

Customer:
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach