KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

Im horribly depressed and I take Prozac 40mg right now and

I'm horribly depressed and I take Prozac 40mg right now and 10mg twice a day for panic attacks, Busoprine, or something. I'm going nuts. My mom picks on me and tattles on me to my grandparents. My grandparents are getting a divorce and they're like my parents. I really want to cut, but I haven't. Its like my mind continues to turn and turn. I have half a mind to run off to Florida to live with a friend. I don't know what to do anymore.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 1 year ago.

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : It sounds like you're havng a lot of stress right now.
Customer:

Yes ma'am

KansasTherapist : Have you tried other medications?
Customer:

No ma'am, I was just put on Prozac a couple of weeks ago and weened off of Zoloft

KansasTherapist : It take it Zoloft didn't hello much.
KansasTherapist : Help not hello
Customer:

It didn't. I was on 150mg, but it wasn't getting better all that much.

KansasTherapist : You may need to give the Prozac a little more time to work. Which, I realize, doesn't help you now.
KansasTherapist : In the mean time, would it be possible to stay away from your mom and keep yourself busy?
Customer:

She lives down the street from my grandparents and me.

Customer:

So unless she comes over, yes I can stay away from her.

KansasTherapist : What can you do to keep yourself busy?
Customer:

But with Grandma and Papa fighting, I don't want to be around them either.

KansasTherapist : I can see why you would want to get away from the fighting.
Customer:

I don't know. I've tried reading, cross-stitching, writing, watching tv, walking around the block...nothing keeps me occupied long enough

KansasTherapist : What about going to a funny movie?
Customer:

I've lived with my mom and her fighting all most of my life, and since we're so close in age, she treats me like her little sister more than her daughter.

Customer:

Yea, I have tons of movies in my room.

KansasTherapist : I was thinking more of getting out of the house to go to a movie, maybe with a friend.
Customer:

...that cost money...

KansasTherapist : Could you ask a friend over to watch a movie?
Customer:

Most of them have moved off to Dallas and Oklahoma and Florida, so they usually can't.

KansasTherapist : Is it reasonable for you to visit an out of town friend?
Customer:

My grandparents don't really let me leave Longview, but only because my car is in their name.

KansasTherapist : You live in Longview Wa.
Customer:

Tx

KansasTherapist : Oh, not too far from OK
Customer:

No, not really.

KansasTherapist : Can you explain to them that you really need a break from things and see if they will help you get to a friend's?
Customer:

I doubt they'll do such a thing.

KansasTherapist : Perhaps with their problems, they could see how hard it is to be around their fighting.
Customer:

It doesn't mean that I can just pick stuff up and leave, I have work still and bills. And thats the only reason I haven't gotten up and left to Florida.

KansasTherapist : What kind of work do you do?
Customer:

I work as a florist and a gas attendant at a grocery store...

KansasTherapist : Do you have days off?
Customer:

Only Tuesday and Thursday.

KansasTherapist : Maybe you could trade with someone to have two days off together and make a quick road trip to your friend in OK.
Customer:

yea...

Customer:

Thank you for your help, I have to go to work...

KansasTherapist : The thing about depression is that it tricks you into doing things that make it worse. You have to ignore the impulses to isolate, think negatively, and be inactive. You're doing good with keeping busy, but it would be good to have a change of scene and hang out with a friend.
KansasTherapist : You're welcome.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.