Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

have been on citalopram for years now and recently started

have been on citalopram for years now and recently started to feel bad so upped from 40-50mg felt awful so have dropped back down to 40 again for almost a week now.the side effects are awful how long will this last and is it normal

NormanM :

Hello, I'm Norman. Are you ready to chat?

NormanM :

Just type when you are ready

NormanM :

I see that you are still offline so I am going to switch this to Question and Answer mode and leave a reply for you there.

The very first thing is that you should not change your dosage without your Doc's approval. In this case the maximum allowable dose of citalopram is 40mg/day. At doses above that, ther is a serious risk of potentially fatal heart rhythm.

It is unlikely that the symproms you are suffering are 'withdrawal' issues - after all, having been on citalopram for so long you will have a fairly constant plasma level of the drug.

In the circumstances you should talk to your prescriber IMMEDIATELY about this.

Secondly, you might want to discuss with him a change in your medication, if it is not controlling your symptoms adequately, and finally, ask him if you should be receiving any psychotherapy.

Medication is fine insofar as it goes - it is good a controlling symptoms, but does not deal with root causes. A combination of psychotherapy and medication is usually much more effective than medication alone.