Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

Hello, In preparing for a first counseling session should

In preparing for a first counseling session should you
start with the acute problem or from the beginning
of your experiences in life ?
Really would like some relief from the first session and will
not hold anything back, but the stereotype of years and years of sessions is looming in my mind.
I thought I had done the work to get through most things in life, but ,surprise,
the completely unexpected happened yet again and I cannot get over it.
Thank you for your time.

NormanM :

Hello, I'm Norman. Are you ready to chat?

NormanM :

I see that you are still offline, so I'm going to switch this to Question and Answer mode and leve a reply for you there

I think the important thing to do is to get the acute issue out as soon as possible. After all, getting that dealt with is, I am sure, your most important priority.

Looking back at beginnings can certainly give insight ino how problems have developed, but be guided by your therapist on this. He or she will go down that road when it becomes necessary.

You might find it helpful to to make a note of what you want to discuss, so that you don't miss anything important. Make sure you do this a couple of days before your appointment so that you can review it immediately beforehand.