Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

I am a 50 year old female. I am on many medications for my

I am a 50 year old female. I am on many medications for my heart, cholesterol, depression, anxiety, thyroid and I am currently feeling VERY overwhelmed. I feel I need a break, any kind of break. I was raised in foster care, but I do know that my bio mom was addmitted for mental issues many years ago involuntarily. I've had MANY years of therapy and some times it helped but most the time it didn't. I am thinking of checking into a mental hospital myself, voluntarily of course, to see if theres anything I can do to feel better. Does a mental health professional have any advice that may help?

Heidi LPC :

Hi! I am sorry you are feeling so down right now... being on medication of any type can have side effects, and having the health conditions you describe can certainly have a huge impact on one's state of mind, mood, and physical health in general. Let me ask you this: What are you doing for yourself to take care of YOU? To comfort yourself, nurture yourself? If your own child was in your situation, what advice would you offer them?

Heidi LPC :

Sometimes, just those questions alone can lead you to the answer... and good nutrition, rest, exercise, sunlight, hugs, and all the things in life that we can offer ourselves are the things we put on hold when we feel down. Yet, these things can lift us back up, and give us the strength and energy we need to put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward on this journey called life!

Heidi LPC :

It will be whatever you choose to see it as; this life you live. Try to take it one moment at a time, be kind to yourself, and know that sometimes, we are dealt crummy cards, but it is up to us to decide how to play them. Seeing yourself as a victim of circumstance and as weak and defeated will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Seeing yourself and tired and needing to rest and take good care of yourself in order to get back in the race is taking action to heal, and to make the choice to live. This choice is up to you to make.

Heidi LPC :

I hope that my answer gives you some food for thought... I will await your reply and we can converse until you feel satisfied with the entire answer. Please wait to rate my service until we are completely done with the conversation; I will check back periodically for your reply! Thank you for using the site!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Heidi for your advise but I have tried and try to live by all of the things you have listed above. I 'm just feeling my issues are more than that. I really feel as those I may need to get more intensive help, perhaps in a Mental Hospital, as per my family history. I seriously am not trying to feel sorry for myself-I honestly feel the need for more help than what my physician and therapist is providing. I was just looking and paying for your opinion. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Lisa
It is difficult in a venue such as this to accurately be able to make a perfect guess as to what is happening in someone's inner life; thank you for understanding this. If you are feeling that this is the next step for you, then by all means, take action and give it a shot. You have one life to live, so make it count. I wish you all the very best in your search for healing and wholeness! Smile You WILL get there!