Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi doc, I suffer from severe panic and anxiety attacks I have

Hi doc, I suffer from severe panic and anxiety attacks I have been suffering for over ten years I have had many treatments as in ct by psychologist and been hypnotized but to no avail. I currently take no medications but now I feel that I should. Is it true that medication can help get rid of this over bearing disease ..
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Medication is very helpful if you are feeling that your anxiety and panic are interfering with your ability to function in daily life. And it sounds like that is what is going on in your case.

Getting your symptoms to a manageable level so you can get treatment to reduce or eliminate your anxiety is vital. If you feel you cannot function, then any other treatment options won't help.

Whenever medications are used for treatment, it is very common for people to need to try at least one or two different medications or more before finding one that helps. This is because everyone's body chemistry is different. So if one medication works for one person, it may not work for another or it might even cause adverse side effects. So don't be discouraged. You will find the right medication for you.

Here are some of the more common medications for anxiety:

Xanax (alprazolam)
Klonopin (clonazepam)
Valium (diazepam)
Ativan (lorazepam)

These medications are known as benzodiazepines. They help to slow down your system and help produce a calming effect.They are also fast acting. As a result, they are very popular and often the first line of medications tried for someone with anxiety disorder. But they do have unwanted side effects such as slowing down reflexes and thinking ability, making a person feel foggy or even drunk. This can impair a person's ability to function in such situations as driving.

.
Anti depressants can also be used for anxiety disorders. Prozac is one. They also include Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, and Celexa. These work by regulating serotonin levels in the brain to elevate mood. They can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to establish full effect in the blood. Side effects include nausea, sleepiness and weight gain. Withdrawal is also an issue, requiring a doctor's supervision.

Another possible mediation is Buspar. It also works to increase serotonin in the brain like anti depressants do. It takes up to 2 weeks to work. But it has less of a sedating effect than other mediations. It also has low risk of dependence.

Once you establish a mediation that works, therapy and self help is essential in overcoming anxiety. Individual outpatient therapy, support groups, learning about anxiety and self help all can help you recover. If you would like recommendations, I would be happy to help.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I would like recommendations
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But I really want to knw is if I take these medications ( liking more the later) is it going to get rid of my medical probs or will it just band aid it ?

Taking medications is supposed to help you cope with the symptoms until you can get therapy. With anxiety, medications do not cure the symptoms, they only control them. Therapy is the best way to treat anxiety and if done consistently with self help, it has a high cure rate. CBT, Cognative Behavioral therapy, is one of the best right now, but any therapist who has experience with anxiety can help. As long as you want to feel better and are willing to work at it, you can overcome anxiety.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist