Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

How long should I be off of Xanax before attempting pregnancy?

I have generalized anxiety disorder, and recently diagnosed with uncategorized bipolar. I also have some health issues that I'm being tested for due to a recent second trimester miscarriage.

Alprazolam (Xanax) has a short half life in the body and after the last dose can remain in the body for 4-5 times its half life. As a rough estimate whole medicine is eliminated from the body within 2-5 days but also considering several other factors, I guess, 7-10 days could be a good time period. Your Gynecologist is the best person to give your advice on this matter and you should consult her also.

You have not mentioned your dose but please note that suddenly discontinuing the xanax can result in withdrawal symptoms. This medicine should be slowly taper down.
So please discuss with your doctor about your decision to stop this medicine and then only taper it down with the consent and supervision of your doctor.

Please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards