RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

i was sexual abused at age 9 and i have severe insecurities

i was sexual abused at age 9 and i have severe insecurities now. Every time I go through any type of change i get panic attacks and run from the change. Is there a link from being sexual abused and fear of change?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this painful situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely, there is a connection and most times at multiple levels abuse impacts a person's psyche, mood, relationship and coping in significant ways.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You have developed panic disorder which is overwhelming anxiety, and apparently from your report, it is mainly triggered by any changes.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Changes imply challenging your stability, what is already safe for you, what you have already learned and got to control, so it does make sense. If facing changes leads exposing to exposing your vulnerability, then your psyche rejects it right a way, and that creates panic as a way to perfect yourself from what you fear.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

yes that makes sense. Would medication help? If so what kind of medication?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Psychiatric drugs could mostly numb you, some times hiding more or less anxiety while affecting psychological functions. You need to assess the pros and cons of it, including side effects. Be sure that psychiatric drugs will not touch the cause of your panic disorder neither the core issues related to it, from past trauma to coping with current triggers, for that only psychotherapy could help you work on that and get real improvements and healing from past episode.

Customer:

Ok Thank You

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome.