Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice

My g/f has a new addiction.

Customer Question

I just found out that my girlfriend with a binge-eating disorder, has been under an intense amount of stress, broke up with me, and immediately started seeking to be dominated by strange men on craigslist. I really need help. I really need advice. And I'm really scared for her safety.

I wasn't going to confront her, but when I forwarded her emails to myself, one didn't go through and she saw the auto-response.  Now she knows and wants me out of our apartment.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Kappler :

Thank you for choosing this website. My approach is mental health not mental illness. I am always amazed at the number of women who can hide their bulimia. There is a strong self-destructive component to this disorder which is why your girlfriend decided to become a masochist after she broke up with you. In any case you must realize that there is not much you can do for her safety.this is especially true when she remains self-destructive.

Dr.Kappler :

My experience in treating bulimics are that they are very resistant to change unless they feel the absolute need to do so. You may be best by deciding to separate from her and still remaining concerned about her health and welfare. If she does not want to live her life however there is little that you can do.

Dr.Kappler :

No one knows for sure what causes binge eating disorder. As many as half of all people with binge eating disorder are depressed or have been depressed in the past. Whether depression causes binge eating disorder, or whether binge eating disorder causes depression, is not known.
It is also unclear if dieting and binge eating are related, although some people binge eat after dieting. In these cases, dieting means skipping meals, not eating enough food each day, or avoiding certain kinds of food. These are unhealthy ways to try to change your body shape and weight. Studies suggest that people with binge eating disorder may have trouble handling some of their emotions. Many people who are binge eaters say that being angry, sad, bored, worried, or stressed can cause them to binge eat. Certain behaviors and emotional problems are more common in people with binge eating disorder. These include abusing alcohol, acting quickly without thinking (impulsive behavior), not feeling in charge of themselves, not feeling a part of their communities, and not noticing and talking about their feelings

Dr.Kappler :

I see they are currently standing by and I'm very interested in your response to my answer.

Customer :

Hey, sorry. I'm trying to pack everything and get out quickly.

Customer :

I know most of that. Once she told me that she had an eating disorder 3 years ago, I read several books on the disorder.

Customer :

She is obviously struggling with this.

Customer :

She has told her friends and convinced them that it's "just trying"

Customer :

But she's got major OCD, and has been under intense stress

Customer :

and now they've just become enablers.

Customer :

telling her that this destructive behavior is "ok"

Customer :

I want to help her in every way that I can

Customer :

does that mean an intervention? I'm not sure. I just need help and to be pointed in the right direction.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Scott I'm sorry to say that that last reply was not generated by me but by the website. I'm sorry that you have given me a rating of bad service and if there's any way that I can further answer your questions and elaborate let me do so.If I don't hear from you I will opt outs and allow you to have an answer from another expert