DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

I have been diagnosed with an Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and have

I have been diagnosed with an Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and have seizures. Could a stressful situation push me into some kind of Manic Episode? I have been battleing my ex husband for custody for almost 2 years. I have DFAC's at my door regulary (ALL CASES CLOSED AS UN PROVED) this past week we were suppose to have our "last" court date.. Ive been told that 3 times since December. My ex is abusive and an alcoholic. My 9 year old son told the Guardian Ad litem all that and she still says that it is her reccomendation that he lives with his Dad b/c I do not follow court order. I live in Kentucky on Fort Campbell Army base with my current husband. A judge ordered me to bring my son back and forth to below Atlanta GA every other weekend 18 months ago. We cant afford that..! Its just a huge mess..!!!! When that happened at court ..I think I just went nuts ..I remember some things .. but my family said I was a different person. I had gone 4 days with no sleep .. and stressed to my limits. The weekend ended with the MP's being called and me having a seizure.. thats how eratic I was acting. But I woke up fine on about the 5th day .. trying to remember what happened .. embarrassed .. family all mad at me ...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting .. had no response.
Thank you for your reply. Sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected, and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

It sounds like your stress is triggering seizures, but these are not "manic episodes" (manic episodes are something different entirely).

Here's how stress can trigger seizures:

1. Under extreme stress, the hormone cortisol is released, which may influence seizure activity in some people.

2. The limbic system of the brain regulates emotion. It's a common place for seizures to begin, and negative emotions such as fright/worry can trigger seizures in some people who are prone to them.

I think you should tell your doctor right away about your recent seizure and have your medical plan re-evaluated.

You should also seek treatment for your PTSD and get support for your current stressful situation.

You can find a Psychologist who specializes in PTSD at one of the following websites:

www.emdr.com
www.adaa.org
www.psychologytoday.com

Please feel free to post a follow up question if you need or want to. My goal is to earn your positive rating!

Regards,

Dr. Fee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I understand the seizure thing. What I am most concerned about is not remembering 4 days..! My family said I was alert ..responsive and functional ..but not myself at all..! I had gine with almost no sleep for 4 days prior to that and did not sleep much during the days following court. My husband said I then became unresponsive completly and called the paramedics ..when they got me to come to ..i went bazerk and ended up in handcuffs ..that's when the seizure happened. I am in the process of seeing a Dr. Just really confused and embarrassed.
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.
That's understandable, that you would be confused and embarrassed. But, none of it sounds like it's your fault or the result of anything that you did. I hope that your husband is being caring and supportive of you.

Severe sleep deprivation can cause all kinds of difficulties, including the inability to speak coherently and memory issues.

If you indeed had a manic episode, that should have been diagnosed in the hospital, and it's doubtful that you would have "woke up fine" on the 5th day. If it was a manic episode, you would have been put on medication for Bipolar. It sounds like your episode was triggered by the sleep deprivation and what was happening in court.

I hope that you are feeling better now --it sounds like can extremely stressful and upsetting situation with your son and ex husband.
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.