Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Even though I am 46 and have 3 grown up sons I have always

Even though I am 46 and have 3 grown up sons I have always longed for a daughter. i am now suffering another bout of depressiion which seems to stem from this longing
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You have several good options,

The one that is fastest and has the least level of commitment but lots of satisfaction is Big Sisters. Here you "adopt" a day child and take her on outings, and do things for her. She is probably from a disadvantaged family and could use your love and role modelling. Here is an article from BBC

I have one site and seems like it may be the Muslim site for Big Sisters, UK, but I am not sure:

You can also become a foster parent and bring a young girl into your family.

Finally, you can adopt a young girl. There are so many young ones that need an adoptive or foster home, and you can give each other what each of you needs - a good mother/daughter relationship.

You can get so much information here:

I wish you great success and blessings in your quest to add joy to your life and to the life of a young girl that needs you.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not think I would be able to adopt/foster as even though I hold down a responsible job & have raised 3 chidlren my depression has been severe and I have been hospitalised, for a few days for observation.
Dear XXXXXie,

A very large percentage of the population have suffered from major depression at one time or the other. I do not know how strict the guidelines may be, but it may vary from locale to locale. Furthermore, you may simply have to undergo an examination to give you a clean bill of health.

Much depression is situational and corresponds to extreme stressors at the time, so allowances may be made. On the opposite side, you have raised three children and hold down a responsible job, so please do not count yourself out yet.

There are solicitors that specialise in adoption and I urge you to speak with one about your chances of acceptance.

Second best are Big Sisters, working in a children's nursery or an orphanage, being a nanny, volunteering in a children's hospital, babysitting, and so on.

Before you have negative thoughts, get information and then make a plan If you are determined enough you can do this. You must try to remain positive.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC CCMHC
Dear Jackie,

Thank you so much for accepting my answer and giving me positive feedback. Don't give up hope. Keep trying until you succeed. There is a blessed little girl out their who will bring joy to your life, and she will have her own life transformed by suddenly being wanted by a real mother. This is so beautiful. People like you make the world a better place.