Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

Been on Valdoxan fully for abt 2 weeks, I wake in the morning

Customer Question

Been on Valdoxan fully for abt 2 weeks, I wake in the morning feeling anxious, would this be a side effect and should I continue to take the medication for a while longer to see if this gets better.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. The generic name for Valdoxan is agomelatine. Now, while agomelatine showed in clinical studies that it is prone to side effects like any antidepressant, there were fewer complaints. And that has been its strong point, that there have been fewer complaints.

Interestingly, one of the areas that there has been complaints is sleep problems. So you are indeed most likely experiencing side effects. However, the full dosage period is 4 weeks, so your doctor will for sure tell you to give it 2 more weeks as side effects are more often than not temporary. So that would be a good rule of thumb for you: if by 4 weeks you are still feeling that symptom, then it would be time for a consultation with your doctor to discuss whether to take action.

You might also consider adding a behavioral component to your treatment for your depression and/or anxiety. While behavioral treatment requires more effort from the patient than medications and is not as quick acting, it doesn't have the side effects nor withdrawal symptoms of the medications. If you would like to introduce a behavioral treatment, feel free to ask me another question about it. Just write “For Dr. Mark” at the beginning and everyone will know it’s for me.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply and I will keep going and I have an appointment to see my doctor around that time. I have suffered with depression and anxiety for a long time and have had behavioural treatment so am practicing that as well.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
Good for you. I'm sorry that I was away for a while and couldn't respond till now. Stay in touch and all the best to you!

Dr. Mark