Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Hello, I had difficulty with a group of women that I worked

Hello, I had difficulty with a group of women that I worked with in my previous job and have since started a new job but my mind is still under a small bit of a strain and my eyes become bloodshot as a result....

Is there anything at all that I can do. I play football regularly and I cant seem to eliminate this throbbing pain - like a tension headache. I am not taking any medication. Any advice at all would be appreciated

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, i believe you have stress leading to anxiety and tension headache, owing to the past bad experience in your previous job which is still bearing on your mind and causing this condition, which although is not severe but is impairing your ability to function properly in various domains of your life.

Dr. Kaushik :

So, i suggest you two modalities of management which shall see you through this problem..

Dr. Kaushik :

1) Well you shall ask your family doctor to put you on a low dose of anti anxiety/ anti stress/ tranquilizer drug such as clonazepam at dose of 0.25 mg in the morning and evening for a short period of 1-2 weeks , and then bring you off this drug. This drug will help you to cope up with stress and it's conseqences and will provide you with the peace of mind and while you on your own will try to get over this past issue , this drug will accentuate your ability to overcome this undue burden that you find yourself to be bearing at this point of time.

Dr. Kaushik :

Also the drug that i have mentioned is tailor made for conditions likes yours and i have suggested a very minimal effective dose plus there is no need to worry about any side effects , since this is a afe drug , especially at this low dose.

Dr. Kaushik :

2) If you are still un-amenable to trying this drug despite my humble suggestion then the other treatment option for you is to seek Counseling / therapy from a clinical psychologist , and the type of therapy that shall prove to be beneficial to you is CBT , that is Cognitive behaviour therapy. This CBT therapy is especially devised to manage stress and anxiety of such type and nature and it will bring an effective change in your thinking pattern thereby influencing you to overcome past stress and move on in life.

Dr. Kaushik :

While CBT is a good ploy to manage your condition , the dis advabntage it holds aganst the use of drug is that for one it is a longer process taking several weeks to get complete , say 12-16 weeks as opposed to only 1-2 weeks of drug therapy as mentioned above , and secondly it is going to be more expensive than the drug therapy..

Dr. Kaushik :

So i have suggested you two formidable options to get over this phase, you shall choose any one of them , but personally i will recommend drug use since it is faster acting and cheaper mode of treatment plus for your minor situation it is more apt, however , the final decision rests with you.

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps..

Dr. Kaushik :

Wish you all the best..

Dr. Kaushik :

Please feel free to ask any further query , if you have any.

Dr. Kaushik :

If you have no other query and if you are satisfied with the answer , then kindly give me a positive rating so that i can be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Kaushik, Thanks. I was reading about the different medications available and I was just wondering if there are other medications available such as perhaps one stronger than ibuprofen that would help to relax the mind. This is an excruciating condition at present and I really need to do something quickly that will provide instant relief but at the same time, I do not even want to run the prospect of taking something that have some signs of possible addiction. I seem to avoid social situations at work and this cannot last long term.

Thanks for your inputs , i appreciate it.

Well, first i will like to throw some light on ibuprofen , it is just an anti inflammatory drug used in physcially painful conditions and it can hardly be helpful in putting your mind at ease and relaxing you, whoever has told you this information unfortunately has not been truthful about it, so for one please do not consider it as tranquilizer or a stress reliever, since it is not going to do any of this.

Now coming to your question , well i can see that you have some reservations regarding use of stress relieviing drugs which shall put your mind at ease, owing to their possibile addiction side effects, well i understand and respect that , but then it narrows down your options to the use of appropriate drug and anyways the drug clonazepam that i have mentioned would have been ideal for your condition and at the low dose i suggested it would have not been a problem as far as it's addiction is concerned.So re-consider it as an option as it is a very fast acting and effective drug ideal for your condition , plus you shall only use it for 1 -2 weeks , so there will not be risk at all of developing addiction which usually develops if the drug has been used for several weeks together.

Now having said that i reckon taking into account your particular need of a drug which is non-addictive and which also treats your mental stress , anxiety and brings back the normal self , then in that case i will suggest you a drug called as Buspar ( buspirone ) which is the least addictive (if at all addictive in the first place) of the anti stress / anti anxiety drugs available in the pharmacy.

This buspar ( buspirone ) should be discussed with your doctor and started at dose of 10 mg twice a day and it will start bringing in relief as far as your stress and anxiety are concerned.

Another second option of a drug would be lexapro / cipralex ( generic name - escitalopram ) to be taken as 5 mg once a day dosing in the morning with breakfast. You shal also discss this with your doctor and choose one of these two mentioned drugs.

Both of the above mentioned drugs are much better than ibuprofen and are designed to cater to the needs that you have at the moment and give you the peace of mind .

So, i hope you dicsuss these drugs with your doctor and use one of them for a while, say 2-3 weeks atleast to appreciate their usefulness in terms of relaxing you and putting your mind at ease.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best..

Please give me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer so that i can be credited for my service.

Regards..