Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

are 125mg of raspberry ketones safe for me to take? I am bipolar

Customer Question

are 125mg of raspberry ketones safe for me to take? I am bipolar and a little overweight
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

There are many dietary supplements on the market an like Raspberry Ketones, anything ingested while under medical care should be addressed with your doctor.

Bill :

That said:

Bill :

The reputations of products like Raspberry Ketone Plus and Raspberry Ketone Ultra rest on anecdotes and two studies conducted on mice put on a high-fat diet. Japanese researchers reported in 2005 that raspberry ketone "prevents and improves obesity and fatty liver," by boosting the breakup of fat cells. Korean researchers reported in 2010 that raspberry ketone increased fat cells' secretion of a hormone called adiponectin that regulates the processing of sugars and fats in the blood.

Dr. Robert H. Lustig , a neuroendocrinologist and UC San Francisco pediatrics professor who is among top experts in the nation's obesity epidemic, said that animal studies alone are insufficient for scientists to say how raspberry ketones work in people.

"Until there are human studies I won't weigh in," he said.

Bill :

As above, there is no scientific proof that this supplement has lasting weight loss effect and although it approved in the limited way that the FDA approves these types of supplements, there is no guarantee to you that you will lose weight.

Bill :

Just be a wise and informed consumer. Taking 125 mg of this is unlikely to cause and harm- other than to your wallet.

JACUSTOMER-gs87opv8- :

Okay. but it has in norerpinephrine. Wouldn't this cause fat loss in the heart and organs if it potentially worked. Sounds like it works on the adrenal glands responsible for fight and flight

Bill :

Well, in studies in mice it prevented obesity of fat in in the liver so it is unknown how it would effect the human organs and at what levels. There have never been any controlled studies in humans and it is marketed as something that has to be taken for a long time to see lasting results. This is way one would market a diet.

Bill :

Talk to a Doctor or Dietitian or go to GNC or a Supplement store and they will show you a dozen products that will assist in weight loss.

Bill :

I trust this will help. IF you have follow up, please ask.

Bill :

Best, BIll

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating as it is the only way I receive credit for my time

Thank you and have a great day!