Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

My mom died a month ago and my husband picked up his addiction

My mom died a month ago and my husband picked up his addiction and gone back into recovery. I'm already very medicated and therapized and I'm still crying and incredibly bitchy. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother- and your husbands relapse.

Bill :

You are most likely experiencing a very predictable and normal grief reaction.

Bill :

Everyone experiences grief differently and this information above explains this in detail. This and the stress associate with your husbands relapse has most likely made this more complicated.

Bill :

What to do?

Bill :

I think that getting involved in an online or in person grief support group is always helpful.

Bill :

Grief net ( above is a great online resources for dealing with grief) if you aren't someone who want to go to group- in - person , however, I think the in person is best.

Customer:

Okay, that's a start -- I will look at those websites. I know that's what will help in future. Any ideas on how to get thru the day until then?

Bill :

Hi- Are you having most problems with the loss of your mom and associated sadness?

Customer:

I don't even know -- I'm just overwhelmed -- and it's more the anger and aggressiveness I worry about, since it's affecting my son and my work.

Bill :

Okay- this is all associated...........for today, I highly recommend that you go to this site:

Bill :

Are you familiar with Melody Beattie's Work?

Customer:

No.

Bill :

Okay, she is a renowned expert and writer on issues related to Codpendence, loss and grief.

Bill :

She has an excellent site above and helpful information that you can start using now to help you feel support and strategies to help you get back on track.

Bill :

She is author to multimillion best seller Co-dependent No More.

Customer:

Okay, thank you for the resources -- I'll try them.

Bill :

The site has a blog, support forum, etc...... it is great.

Bill :

You are most welcome and I wish you the very best.

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating as it is the only way I receive credit for my time

Thank you and have a great day!

Bill :

- you will have a complete copy of this chat in email with links;

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

IF YOU RATE NOW YOU CAN ALWAYS FOLLOW UP LATER IF YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS---------THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.

Bill :

Is there something else I can help with before I move on?

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's