TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Im a 73 year old male, good health, always been in sports

I'm a 73 year old male, good health, always been in sports and worked hard, was a soldier, within the passed 4-5 years I get emotional over just about everything. I get teary eyed and voice cracks over silly things. Other than that I think I'm ok. It's quite embarassing. am I short any type of mineral or food? I do take cholersteral, diabetes, and prostate capsules and vitamins and eat healthy and go to the gym.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you might be dealing with depression. Often people go through traumas in life or experience losses without realizing how much it affects them. And as you get older, losses and other traumas can have a cumulative affect on you. Dealing with losses and other traumas can become overwhelming emotionally. Finding yourself tearful and upset is just a sign that you may need to find ways to release these feelings.

It is always a good idea to see your doctor to rule out any physical cause to your symptoms. There are many illnesses that can affect you emotionally so ruling out any physical issues is always smart. If you are cleared by your doctor, then it might be a good idea to talk to him/her about therapy. Your doctor can refer you to someone who can do an evaluation to see what might be causing how you feel. At this point, it does not sound like you need medications but it is always an option. Talk therapy can help you figure out why you feel as you do and how to address it. You can also search on line at

You can also read about depression on line to see if what you are feeling fits the symptoms for depression. Here are some links to help you:

I hope this has helped you,