Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

is it wise to alternate my 5htp supplement with my RRSI every

is it wise to alternate my 5htp supplement with my RRSI every second day if I am trying to get of the antidepressant. used RRSi for last 2 years after traumatic divorce. Also what effect will the 2 have seperately as well as together on my weight as I have a serious weight problem and I don't succeed in losing weight.
Hello Madam,

Could you please your diagnosis for which you are taking medicines?

Kindly also mention the name of medicine along with the dose?

Thanks

Vikas
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Dr Vikash

I had a traumatic divorce 2 years ago and I suffered from depression because of that experience. I am currently using Serlife and I take a 50mg doze every second day. I alternate it with Holistix's 5HTP that I buy over the counter at the pharmacy and i drink 2 tablets of 100mg each every second day. a friend suggested the 5HTP as a better option that the antidepressant to lift my brain's seratonin levels. As stated before I had an overdoze of adrenalin production in my brain over the last at least 12 years due to workstress and later marital problems. That added to my weight problem.
Hello ina,

Thanks for your reply.

In my view alternate use of SSRI serlife and 5HTP is not recommended as both of them are increasing serotonin level in brain and this can result in a rare but life threatening serotonin syndrome.

5HTP when used alone can only be useful in mild symptoms and if you are having significant anxiety / depression, a SSRI antidepressant should be the best option.

Although, Serlife (Sertraline) usually does not cause weight gain but if you are experiencing weight gain with this medicine, you can discuss with your doctor about shifting you in another SSRI antidepressants Fluoxetine. Fluoxetine does not cause weight gain and can even cause initial weight loss in some patients because of causing lack of appetite as a side effect. Your doctor can directly shift you on Fluoxetine from Serlife as both of them are SSRI antidepressants.

If you have decided to try 5HTP then you should ask your doctor to taper down Serlife first in my view. Serlife should be taper down slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Most patients are able to tape down this medicine by reducing 50 %, taking it for 5-7 days followed by another 50% reduction in dose again taking it for 5-7 days and then discontinuation..

I hope this helps.

If you have any other query please feel free to ask further.

If you are satisfied with this answer please rate one of the positive ratings as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Kind regards

Vikas

Hello ina,

Do you have any other query to ask?

Regards

Vikas