Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Second opinion/new expert. If Dr. L Is on line - I apologize

Second opinion/new expert. If Dr. L Is on line - I apologize but would like a second opinioin. This service has helped me tremendously with medical, car, electronic information. This time I need a Psychologist opinion; and I can assure you this is no joke, but very serious to me. Embarrassed but here goes: Lately I've this overwhelming need to go completely nude. Although I'm straight, I have a male room-mate and still the minute I walk in the door; off comes the clothes, and so far he says he understands and it doesn't bother him. but I know I need some sort of help or answer as to why this is occurring and how I could stop. PLEASE; I have promised the previous expert this behavior would stop; but it is still happening. I know a lot of people are 'naturalists' so who is this hurting?

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry that this is a problem for you. Obviously a neurotic conflict and one related to appropriate boundaries with your roommate or you would not be asking the question..

Bill :

One one hand you wish to be a naturalist, the other you have conflict about not controlling this behavior in front of your roommate.

Customer:

Well, it's a conflict Dr. because 'society' says it's taboo.

Bill :

I actually encourage you to continue the behavior and although you recognize this as a societal tabboo- (which is a healthy boundary) in the privacy of your own home, be nude as much as you want and as long it is not detracting from the relationship with your roommate.....fine. IF it is causing a problem with your roommate either this has to be resolved or you have to make a choice of living alone.

Bill :

That is my opinion and I wish you the very best.

Bill :

Regards, Bill

Customer:

Thank you