Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My daughter, 53, thinks I am questioning her intelligence,

Customer Question

My daughter, 53, thinks I am questioning her intelligence, and can scarcely stand to talk to me. Often she will say, that does it, Mom, this conversation is over and hang up. She is having a bad menopause.. We had joint therapy thst was unsuccessful. I thought we had agreed that when she detected me disrespecting me, she would say STOP and we would look at what went on either immediately or later when she isn't so angry, but she isn't doing this. It seems she is just angry at me. I always thought she was my star. She has many friends, a loving ut occassionally adulterous husband, a new grandchild, plays tennis 6 days a week. Her daughter was diagnosed with exercise bullimia 2 years ago. My other daughter is diagnosed with bi-polarity, I am trying to stay out of her way and be non-confrontational. I don't thin she is being hard on her husbans. Ehat can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JohnMichaels,MS,LPC replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Please note, this is not therapy, but information. I do hope I can help you though.

I am sorry to hear this. It sounds like you care very much for your daughter. I do have a couple questions. What appears to be the biggest Lou t of contention you and your daughter? What sets her off? Where does she claim you went wrong? I really do want to help but the answers to these questions and any other details you can provide might help me do so. Thank you!