Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

For Dr. Levang: Ill open a new question to chat if/when you

Customer Question

For Dr. Levang: I'll open a new question to chat if/when you are available
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 2 years ago.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

Great. Let's hope this works.

Dr. L :

Tell me what happened today with Dr. M and Dr. S....

Customer:
Hi
Customer:

Let me post it..

Customer:
I have considered what you have proposed and I feel that it would be a
mistake for me to reengage as your therapist. I am really very sorry to
disappoint you, but as is clear from your email, the aftermath of the work that
we did do together has left obstacles, in the form of doubt, wariness,
resistance from your family, etc. that I feel would take too much to overcome.
The work you need to do is too important, in my opinion, to be burdened by
those things. I appreciate the kind things you have said about me but it should
be clear to you now that liking a therapist is not in and of itself sufficient
to guarantee a good working relationship. It is more important that you feel
heard and understood by someone you respect and trust. That did not happen with
us, for whatever the reasons. All of that can happen without real "like" going
on.
Customer:
Again, I am not fond of saying "no", but I think that is the correct answer
in this situation. You and your next therapist need to begin with a clean
slate. Please do not give up. You can get the work done that you want to. I
hope you would first revisit your impressions of the other therapists you have
met, from the perspective that you are starting over. Is there anyone among
them who is worthy of exploring further? If so, go back and visit again. If
you choose to meet someone else for the first time, be less concerned about
liking them. That may come later, after you have a working relationship. Focus
on what you can communicate to them about what you need and pay careful
attention to how they respond. Above all, push yourself to be as honest as you
can. I think if you will be open, you will find someone who is worth your time
and attention.
Customer:

I do wish you the best. From a distance, I am still rooting for you.

Customer:

Bill

Dr. L :

I've read this through.

Dr. L :

He has given you a very honest answer.

Customer:

Dr. S, gets more weird by the sessions. I think he has a bit of "Flight of Idea's" going on. Sometimes he says things that really make sense. Other times, I find it difficult to follow and many of his thoughts seem highly speculative at best. I discussed with him Dr. M and the fact that he refused to take me back. He suggested that that was "abandoning" on his part. I just blame myself, honestly.

Customer:

That letter hurt!

Dr. L :

Tell me what words or parts hurt you

Customer:

I really thought he'd take me back. It was not the reply I expected. But why not? I was VERY honest. I told him he was negligent, that he let me get sick and didn't do anything about it. I told him he left me feeling empty, that we didn't connect. That my husband thought he was unethical. Why on earth would he take me back? He shouldn't!

Customer:

But here I am, devastated, nonetheless.

Customer:

I blame myself. You will say I shouldn't. It doesn't matter what you say because had I not said all those things, I'd have a standing appointment right now. I probably wouldn't be helped and I'd likely be in a worst place. Confusing, right? Tell me about it. But it irrelevant now, seeing him is off the table.

Dr. L :

Yes..you are right...I would say you should not blame yourself. That he has some responsibility here and that there were 2 people in this dance.

Dr. L :

Yes...you should always tell the truth. If you had not been honest..you would have been in a false relationship and where would that have gotten you? No where.

Dr. L :

So...yes...the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that he is off the table and that you can:

Dr. L :

revisit the folks you have already interviewed and seen

Customer:

I feel sickly sad, Dr. Levang.

Dr. L :

take a look at who else might be a match

Dr. L :

Yes...sickly sad...that's a good description...

Dr. L :

Unfortunate...but apt.

Customer:

I wish I could stop crying, but I can't. I feel a loss.

Dr. L :

And what do you think that loss is?

Customer:

I feel like I lost and disappointed a friend.

Dr. L :

Okay. I agree that there is loss here...

Dr. L :

Why do you think you disappointed Dr. M?

Customer:

This is not the journey that I envisioned taking when I began therapy. I never thought I'd feel a connection to someone who was so right and so wrong for me and I never expected to feel this level of rejection and resistance in finding someone new.

Customer:

I think I disappointed him by being so hard core about what I wanted.

Customer:

It's just crappy to be me right now.

Dr. L :

I agree that this has not been the journey you would have wanted to take..or even envisioned.

Dr. M did not reject YOU. He rejected the therapeutic process...he decided he could not commit to therapy.

Dr. L :

I don't see how you could have disappointed him by knowing what you wanted and needed.

Customer:

I guess it's hard to understand.

Dr. L :

I think you need to take "you" out of the situation and look at this as about a process...and his saying No to that process.

Customer:

A process that involves two human beings, both with emotions, him being the "leader" of this two man team, and he just decides that he's abondoning his agreed upon role. I don't want to be with someone who doesn't want me, but I'm still hurt by it, regardless of the logistic reasoning.

Dr. L :

And absolutely when you see this as a 2 person team...and one backs out...then it is crushing and sad and disappointing and hurtful...and maddening and confusing and so forth.

Dr. L :

And yes...your feelings are your feelings and no one - including me - has any business negating those or challenging them.

Customer:

I just want to grieve the loss. I don't know why I care so much but I do.

Customer:
Customer:

I'm sensitive I guess. It's who I am. Dr. S told me at my appt. that there is one thing that is lacking in my personality.

Customer:

Can you guess what it is?

Dr. L :

No... I can't imagine what he is talking about...self-regulation?

Customer:

No. Anger.

Customer:

I'm never angry.

Customer:

I'm sad. But I can't even tell you the last time I felt anger. But it's probably been years.

Dr. L :

Really?

Customer:

Really.

Dr. L :

And why do you think that is

Customer:

I just don't think it's an emotion that has ever felt productive. I never felt like it was going to serve me, so I've just never been angry.

Dr. L :

And did he suggest that you need to get in touch with anger?

Customer:

And I've had so much horrible crap happen in my life, that most people have never gone through and all I think about is "Tanya, you're a 35 year old wife and mother. It's time to put your big girl pants on and move on!"

Customer:

He just said that I should be angry.

Dr. L :

And the "should" was about what?

Customer:

About my past, I guess.

Dr. L :

And what do you think about that idea...that you should be angry about your past?

Customer:

I think I probably should, but what does that get me? Nothing.

Dr. L :

What do you think you should be angry at?

Customer:

Do you want me to go into details?

Dr. L :

No...but I just wanted to know if YOU think you should be angry...versus someone telling you you should...

Dr. L :

As you say...what would it get you? and it's not an emotion you have felt practical or useful for you...

Dr. L :

I don't think you ought to be talked into something ....

Customer:

Yes, I think I should probably be angry. But it's not an emotion that flows out of me easily. I don't think it serves any purpose to my healing in therapy and it's just not who I am.

Customer:

So as far as I'm concerned, Yes, he made a valid observation, but I don't think it's an "ah-ha, get angry and you'll be fine" sort of thing.

Dr. L :

Okay.

Dr. L :

Anger is a valid emotion and there would certainly seem justification in your life story to be angry. And...I agree...it is not likely the end all be all for you...

Dr. L :

And certainly it may just rise up naturally in the course of therapy...and that might be for the best.

Customer:

Maybe. But I'm soooooooo far from that right now.

Customer:

I don't even know what therapy looks like or feels like.

Customer:

What I do know, is that what happened today feels like a set-back and I have to work harder to stand back up again.

Customer:

This has become mission impossible.

Customer:

I just don't even know where to turn at this point. Every option feels like way more effort that I can give right now.

Dr. L :

How was the session with Dr. S?

Dr. L :

What about the new psychologist you found at the women's center?

Customer:

I didn't call them.

Customer:

I was waiting to hear back from Dr. M, and then I had to go for my appt. with Dr. S.

Customer:

He's just to weird for me.

Customer:

He's all over the place with his ideas like he's schizophrenic or something. And he has a stutter and its hard to understand him. Or I find that I finish his sentences.

Customer:

It's just not someone I can see sticking with long term.

Customer:

He's is nice enough, but he's a "No".

Customer:

Maybe this guy? Some people in this practice participate with my insurance. He doesn't. I don't care anymore.

Customer:

I'm just seriously confused.

Dr. L :

Let me look at him...be right back...

Dr. L :

Not someone I would recommend....

Customer:

Why not?

Dr. L :

too process oriented and not focused enough on solutions...

Customer:

I guess I'm not looking at the right "qualifications". Oy vey, this is just impossible. :(

Customer:

I'm done looking.

Customer:

I'm done going.

Customer:

I'm not doing this anymore.

Customer:

Me: "Hey Doc, it really hurts when I keep going to see these therapists that don't work out" Doc: "Than stop doing that!".

Dr. L :

Tanya...

Customer:

What?

Dr. L :

When I read through biographies, I am focusing on what skills and abilities they bring to the table that will match with the presenting issues from the client.

Customer:

Ok, you know what you are looking for. Obviously, I don't.

Dr. L :

In your case, he is highly focused on the process of therapy. That is well and good for someone who has tons of time and wants to examine the details of their life. That's not you.

Dr. L :

You need someone to focus on solutions right now and to bring relief.

Dr. L :

When I read that biography I did not see symptom relief...

Customer:

I don't think I'm ever going to get that. I've resolved myself to looking at this bird cage I'm in and calling this "home".

Dr. L :

Yes...you are going to get that.

Dr. L :

But I do think that Dr. M was right in saying that you can't focus on liking the therapist...that it has to be about that possibility of trust and about someone with the right skills and abilities..and...the schedule to meet your needs.

Customer:

But liking someone is important to me.

Dr. L :

I understand the fatigue you are experiencing with this therapist shopping. It is an exhausting process...I really can't imagine how you have withstood this...

Dr. L :

Yes...I understand that...but it can not be the first thing - or only thing - to focus on. It has to be about the trust...the liking can come later.

Dr. L :

In my experience, the liking means that people stay in therapy with someone they "like" but who isn't competent enough or isn't the best/right fit.

Dr. L :

Liking can get in the way....

Dr. L :

Liking is too messy.

Dr. L :

I encourage you to rethink the people you have rejected. Instead...who had the skills and abilities...

Customer:

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not going back to any of the people I've seen. They are not the ones.

Dr. L :

It seems that Dr. S is out...Dr. I did not have time...Dr. K? not sure where he stands...you seem to say that he gave you a hard time about Dr.M and that bothered you.

Dr. L :

Okay...fine then don't go back to any of them.

Dr. L :

Why don't we do this..you come up with a list of people...give me the internet addresses. I will look them over and give my comments. I would be willing to be helpful in that way. If you don't want that kind of help from me...that's fine. I am just making an offer.

Customer:

It's a thoughtful offer, thank you.

Customer:

Thanks for spending time with me tonight. I really feel like I need to take a couple of weeks off and come back to this with a clearer head. Right now, my emotions have the best of me.

Dr. L :

That's fine Tanya. I am here for you.

Customer:

I know.

Customer:

Thank you for that.

Dr. L :

If you would like me to review some possible therapists...just let me know. Otherwise...yes...let the therapy piece alone for awhile. Let the medication get up and going...

Dr. L :

You are very welcome Tanya.

Customer:

Ok, thank you.

Dr. L :

I can't tell you enough how truly sorry I am and how frustrating this is on my end as well.

Dr. L :

I'll say good night now.

Customer:

I appreciate that. You have been the one consistent, positive, professional force in my life--you have no idea how much your advice and encouragement influences me.

Dr. L :

My honor Tanya!

Customer:

I look to you because I trust you. I wish you could do more. But I understand your limitations.

Dr. L :

It isn't easy for you to trust and so I value that you are able to let me walk with you.

Dr. L :

I'm staying positive...and I hope you can too...even if just a bit.

Dr. L :

Bye for now.

Customer:

Good night, Dr. Levang.

Dr. L :

And a good night to you Tanya.

Customer:

Don't say no.

Customer:

He called me. He's not back in the office until 9/4. On Vacation in Maine. Seems very sweet and willing to help me. He's calling me on 9/2 to schedule an appointment. He gave me his personal cell number and told me to call if I needed anything, that he didn't want me to be alone in this. For the first time, I feel like at least someone cares enough to call me back. The one month delay might just be the one thing I need to clear my head in this. What do you think?

Customer:

I canceled ALL my appointments. No more with Dr. K or Dr. S. I'm "single" and "looking"! ;)

Customer:

I just wanted to check in before I go to bed. Yesterday, I was really upset about Dr. M. It felt like huge loss in my life, and I didn't forsee getting over it any time soon. I went to bed last night and tossed and turned for nearly two hours. But you know what? I slept through the night. I got up this morning and I felt a little lighter than I have felt in months. I took my children to Chick-fil-a appreciation day and then to a school get together at a playground near our house. I saw many of my teacher friends and reconnected, and I started to feel better. I don't think I realized how much pressure I was under both with Dr. M and with all the interviews. I made a conscious decision to walk away, and I feel better for it. I'm riding this wave. It feels good. Let's hope I have another good night tonight.

Customer: Are you ok? I got a weird message from JA that you weren't able to answer my question but everything looks ok on my account. I haven't seen you online in a while and just want to make sure that you're alright.
Customer: Hey!
Dr. L :

HI Tanya,

Dr. L :

I just came on a few minutes ago.

Customer: Everything ok?
Dr. L :

I will read your post and then reply.

Customer: Ok
Dr. L :

I'll also check the psychology today.

Customer: Ok
Dr. L :

I read the bio...looks fine. He's been in practice a lengthy time.

Customer: Wow...your a
Customer: Oops
Customer: Your approval...impressive! ;)
Dr. L :

He appears to have gone above and beyond in making a connection with you.

Customer: He was the only one who called me!
Customer: Isn't that crazy?
Dr. L :

Well...his bio reads well and he has worked "hard" to make you feel welcome, seen, and to be accomodating.

Dr. L :

Those are all things that lead me to say Yes to him.

Customer: Agreed!
Customer: I DO NOT have high expectations, however.
Dr. L :

You know how I feel about the lack of phone calls!

Dr. L :

Unfortunately, you cannot set high expectations...but reasonable expectations are in order...

Customer: I do. It's so unprofessional, and yet, seems so commonplace.
Customer: I'm somewhat hopeful, that's about it.
Dr. L :

Yes...and that's the frustrating point for me...

Dr. L :

Yes...hopeful is a good place to be...not overly hopeful but "mild" hopeful...

Customer: It's a good first start. In the meantime, I'm going to stay connected to what I love. My family, politics, teaching, and getting well. I have my follow up with the psychiatrist on Monday.
Dr. L :

How are you feeling about seeing the psychiatrist?

Customer: By the way, did I tell you that I'm going to go back to school. Applying to George Mason University to get my teaching credentials.
Dr. L :

How are the meds feeling?

Dr. L :

Great! That's wonderful news. Really wonderful....

Dr. L :

I hear that is a very good school.

Customer: I already have my under-grad, but I love to teach! I taught twice a week last year and worked with struggling kindergarteners. I also taught preschool part time and I home schooled my own kids a couple of years ago. I found my calling!
Customer: Yes, it's a great school, and I've already been offered my student teaching opportunity at the elementary school where my kids go and where I taught last year. I'm going for it!
Customer: I'm fine with the psychiatrist. The meds seem to have leveled out. Side effects are less and less everyday despite the terrible start.
Dr. L :

I am very happy for you....finding our passion in life is one key in our happiness!

Customer: This is my ticket out of hell....I know it!
Dr. L :

WOW! To the med side effects leveling off.

Dr. L :

Are you feeling any differences emotionally because of them.

Customer: You know, I honestly don't think the meds really do much for me. I just think I was under a lot of pressure with the stress from Dr. M and the disappointment of the interviews.
Customer: i just feel better having walked away.
Dr. L :

It takes up to 6 weeks for the meds to fully be on board...

Dr. L :

So...it will slowly, slowly take effect...

Dr. L :

Just be patient...most people say that all of a sudden one day they just realize they are feeling happier...

Customer: Unfortunately, it was right back to nightmares last night.
Customer: i think for me, it's about having a purpose. I know what I love and I feel my best when I'm standing up for what I believe in and being supported in doing that. I think I've really lost sight of those things in the past 7 months.
Dr. L :

I'm sorry about that....but you have to trust that the medication will work...and that it will prove the right choice over time...

Customer: I don't think the meds will affect the nightmares, I think therapy will do that. So I think I'm stuck with them for a while longer.
Dr. L :

Yes...I can understand how you lost sight of your passion....when we are in physical and emotional pain then the focus just becomes that world.

Customer: That's what I mean by pursueing teaching and focusing on something I'm passionate about turns into a focus away from the overwhelming sadness I sometimes feel.
Dr. L :

Exactly!

Customer: And the support I have from the staff at the school is awesome! They really want me to teach, and having their support is really awesome!
Customer: Ha, I said awesome, twice". ;)
Dr. L :

Yes to having that kind of support behind you...that is awesome, awesome!!

Customer: ;)
Customer: So there you have it, the events of the last two days. I'm glad you approve of Dr. jamieson. Could you call and vet him for me too? ;)
Customer: Tell him that if he doesn't help me, hurts me, or causes me to get worse that you'll come over here and make him
Customer: Pay.
Dr. L :

LOL

Customer: :)
Customer: Come on, you know you want to,
Customer: Does waiting a month seem reasonable to you?
Dr. L :

Waiting a month is not unreasonable....IF you are doing something in the meantime...some homework.

Customer: like what?
Customer: Recommendations?
Dr. L :

I think you considering going to school and working on that is a positive...

Customer: T
Customer: Thats it?
Dr. L :

I think reading that brain book is one good thing...I would see that as homework.

Customer: Wow! You really crack the whip. I expected so much more from you! ;)
Dr. L :

I'm still thinking....

Customer: LOL,
Customer: Don't think, I got this covered! I wouldnt want you to hurt yourself, you know with your age and all! :)
Dr. L :

LOL

Customer: Is everything ok with you?
Dr. L :

Yes....I'm just fine.

Dr. L :

I was trying to think of some nice homework for you...

Dr. L :

I'm sorry JustAnswer gave you that response.

Dr. L :

I'm not sure. I'll check that out.

Customer: Ok, you just seem "short" today and I didn't see you on for a while, so just making sure. I know Im probably not supposed to care about you (since this isn't a relationship) but its to late for that because I do.
Dr. L :

I'm okay...and thanks for caring.

Customer: You don't have to thank me, it's my nature. ;)
Dr. L :

I'm just trying to be thoughtful with you. You've had so many peope dabbling in your life...all with different viewpoints and opinions. I want to make sure that what I say is helpful and respectful and not more confusing or upsetting.

Dr. L :

Dr. Jamieson is appealing. I do want you to heed Dr. M's thought about "liking" versus competence, commitment, and trust.

Dr. L :

I imagined that the picture he posted struck your mothering heart...and that was part of what made him appealing.

Customer: I understand that you feel that way, and I appreciate that you want to be mindful, but I have taken what you have said and applied it. If you said "no" to someone than it's no. I believe that you have my best interest at heart and that could never be hurtful or upsetting.
Customer: Ha! You know me well...the picture did have a lot to do with it.
Dr. L :

That's perfectly fine...but I want you to be honest to yourself about that aspect so that you don't get your expectations up and then feel disappointment if that appeal is not as strong when you meet him. Do you understand my point?

Dr. L :

On the one hand the picture is sorta a Norman Rockwell-ish sort of portrayal....and that would be appealing to many, many people. Certainly more so then a picture of Dr. S!!!

Customer: Yes I do. I do not have my hopes up. I think I am reasonably hopeful and yet skeptical. I have learned my lesson!
Dr. L :

But again...it's what you said about reasonable expectations...and what I say about looking for that "possibility of trustworthiness"...

Dr. L :

Very good Tanya!

Dr. L :

We are on the same page here.

Customer: Ha! I asked Dr. Jamieson to please not be "weird or look homeless" on our first meeting together.
Dr. L :

LOL

Dr. L :

...look homeless...that's a good one!

Customer: he laughed too.
Dr. L :

Good sign...the guy has humor....

Customer: You have no idea how accurate that is!
Dr. L :

Isn't it funny how you can say a word and then the picture pops in your mind...

Customer: the mental health profession has way to many crazies!
Dr. L :

well...let's say...people who look like crazies...

Dr. L :

that maybe ought to have a fashion 101 class...

Dr. L :

scary stuff for sure...

Customer: I'd be happy with a basic hygiene 101.
Dr. L :

LOL...

Dr. L :

I hear you....

Customer: So, we'll see what happens. I just want to bonf
Customer: Bond
Customer: Thats all. Trust enough to get the job done.
Dr. L :

Yes...bonding is another aspect of trust...

Dr. L :

And absolutely...there is a job to be done...and it would be great to get that headed in the right direction...

Dr. L :

I'm glad the psychiatric piece is in place and is stable...

Dr. L :

Did you tell him about that?

Customer: About what?
Dr. L :

That you are on medication and are being monitored by a psychiatrist...

Customer: No, he was calling me from Maine and so we just touched on why I wanted to come in. I had sent him an email through psychology today and briefly described that I was having a hard time finding a good fit with anyone. When I talked to him on the phone, the conversation didn't feel weird. I got a good vibe initially.
Customer: i also told him at I have trust issues and would take my time in getting to know him, so he
Customer: He's aware of that as well.
Dr. L :

Very good....I think you are off to a good start with him....

Dr. L :

You've been honest and upfront and that will bode well for your first meeting with him.

Customer: When he gave me his cell number and told me to call if I needed him, I said "I don't think I feel comfortable calling you since we don't have a client/therapist relationship". He said not to worry about that. If I needed him, to call.
Customer: what do you think about that?
Dr. L :

And I do agree that all those interviews likely were very taxing and put enormous pressure on you. So to take a short break here...let the dust settle...get geared up to go back to school...enjoy the rest of the summer...very good.

Dr. L :

I like that alot.

Customer: is that something you would do?
Dr. L :

It shows he is open. He is saying...I am opening a door for you and if - or when - you feel comfortable you can come on it and sit awhile.

Dr. L :

Yes. I would and do do that.

Customer: Really?
Dr. L :

Yes...really. Absolutely.

Customer: No one has ever done that for me before.
Dr. L :

I'm sorry. Truly I am.

Customer: You don't have to be sorry. I didn't think anything of it.
Dr. L :

The therapeutic relationship is not like any other kind of relationship. It is built on openness and a willingness to be seen and to see others.

Customer: But he doesn't even know me.
Customer: I've not paid him. There is no obligation on his part, and what exactly qualify
Dr. L :

Well...I want my profession to treat people well and it is a poor reflection on all of us.

Customer: Qualifyies as needing him?
Dr. L :

He doesn't have to know you at this point. He WANTS to know you is what is important here.

Customer: Sorry I'm on my iPad.
Customer: Trust me, that's a weird concept for me to understand.
Dr. L :

If you have a crisis. If you have a question about seeing him.

Dr. L :

Yes...I can only imagine how strange that sounds to you...

Customer: Yeah, crisis. I hate that word.
Dr. L :

If something comes up and you feel you want his advice about...

Customer: Got it.
Dr. L :

I hesitated to use it...but it's what he is indicating....

Customer: Sometimes, I hate that you know me so well.
Dr. L :

LOL

Customer: Oh and I found out more about my insurance...
Dr. L :

I know you don't like that...but yet it also is a good thing...

Dr. L :

Great. What did you find out...

Dr. L :

You already have a cadillac program from what I understand...

Customer: $500 deductible and 30% co-pay.
Customer: For out of network.
Customer: So we're going for it.
Dr. L :

That's a very good option.

Customer: And I say the same thing to my husband (that I hate that he knows me so well). Some people just come into your life and you just click.
Dr. L :

Very generous...

Dr. L :

Yes. That's true.

Customer: It's a fantastic PPO plan.
Dr. L :

I would wholeheartedly agree!

Dr. L :

Well...I'd better say goodbye Tanya.

Customer: Ok
Customer: Thanks for the therapist approval and for being so awesome! ;)
Dr. L :

You take care! I think you've made some very healthy new decisions...

Dr. L :

There's that word awesome again!!!

Customer: I know, isn't it great! Have an awesome rest of the day Dr. Levang!
Dr. L :

I'm going to have a hard time getting the image of a homeless therapist out of my mind today!

Customer: I know, isn't it funny? I will too, Dr. S was exactly like that!
Dr. L :

Well...if you got a few extra chuckles out of it...that's a bonus!

Dr. L :

Take care! Enjoy the day.

Customer: You too, Doc! Bye!
Dr. L :

Bye!

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist