Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

I have being on Cilift for 6 years after having being held

I have being on Cilift for 6 years after having being held up in an armed robbery. I am experiencing the following which is really affecting me, I am negative all the time, tearful, aggressive always angry, I just can't see anything in a positive light. Please give me your advice, I also have no libido and feel quiet cold in emotion

NormanM :

Hello, I'm Norman. Are you ready to chat?

Since you were still offline, I thought it best to leave an answer here ready for your return.

It seems clear, Leza, that your medication is not really getting to the heart of the issue, and to be honest, I would not expect it to on its own. Medication is good for dealing with the surface symptoms of a problem, but not with the root causes, and I suspect that that is what is happening here.

The best approach is to use a combination of medication and psychotherapy, specifically Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

I suggest that (a) you ask your Doc to review your medication, and (b) that you consider some CBT as well. Your Doc may want to change your medication entirely, or alter the dose.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also causes the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

Also, there is a book called ”Feeling good - the new mood therapy” by Dr. David Burns. It has a hand book which gives you practical exercises to work through and further instructions on how to better use CBT. I really do recommend it.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies By Rhena Branch, Rob Willson is also pretty good.

Best wishes, NormanM