Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

can i take small dosage of paxil and lexapro together 10 paxil

can i take small dosage of paxil and lexapro together 10 paxil 5 lexapro?

Hello tony,

Both Paxil and Lexapro are SSRI antidepressant and have more or less similar mechanism of action. In my view, combining both of them together is not of much use.

Instead of combining Paxil with Lexapro combining Paxil with Remeron (Mirtazapine) should be a much better option. Remeron has totally different mechanism of action in comparison to Paxil / Lexapro and can very effectively augment the antianxiety and antidepressant effect of Paxil. So discuss with your doctor about trying this option.

If you are also having associated depressive symptoms, combination of Bupropion (Wellbutrin) with Paxil is also an excellent combination.

For management of acute anxiety, you can discuss with your doctor about trying orally disintegrating preparation of Clonazepam (Klonopin) which can bring instantaneous relief within minutes to half an hour. This tablet can be taken on as and when needed basis.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further.

Kind regards

Vikas