Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I was diagnosed with BPD 2 yrs ago and made a major change

I was diagnosed with BPD 2 yrs ago and made a major change in my life recently. I quit my job to stay at home with my 3 sons, ages 12, 6, & 3. I'm struggling, extremely depressed but still taking my meds. I feel worthless, hopeless and find it almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning. My children need me, but I need some sort of support to get me out of this rut. Do you have any suggestions? For the past 3 days all I want to do is sleep, not leave the house and just care for my sons.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you were diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder a few years ago. Like many people with BPD, you suffer from depression. You seem to have profound fatigue and hypersomnia which are symptoms of clinical depression.
Taking medications only don't help your condition much.
I can imagine how worried and anxious you must have felt about this condition. You have three precious children who need you and your care/support. You take care of your children. You also need support from mental health professionals, family and/or friends.

You may need individual psychotherapy weekly - individual and group therapy. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) or Psychodynamic therapy may be effective for your condition. Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment. Individual psychotherapy will help you for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Group therapy is useful for you to address the issues – adherence to medication and therapy, regulation of self-esteem, and management of other psychosocial issues. Support groups are available in a local community clinic or a local hospital.

If you have no health insurance or needs low cost treatment, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get treatment described above even without health insurance.

To find a group therapy or a support group for you, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for women with BPD or depression. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including depression and anxiety.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.

In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and energy.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Try to have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.

I hope you get well with all available help.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,