Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

I have been taking Symbyax for close to 7 months but i have

I have been taking Symbyax for close to 7 months now. I have been on antidepressants for a almost 2 years. I am constantly tired and feel i am in a drugged haze, and i am gaining a lot of weight too from this med. I am 21 years old and im going back to coolege for the third time and my third University.  I told my psychiatrist that i was gaining weight and im more anxious than depressed all the time. I want off this medicine. I feel more anxiety than i feel depressed. I would like to know how to get off this medicine and possibly on an antianxiety for back to school. it would help a lot
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are having such a rough time with this medicine! Symbyax is basically Prozac and Zyprexa added together. Zyprexa is very sedating. It is a very good drug, for the right person, but it is also known to cause weight gain, as well as blood sugar or cholesterol problems.
Dr_Anderson : Depending upon what it is that you are being treated for, Prozac by itself may be a good option.
Customer:

Hello, i was getting treated for just depression

Customer:

What should i tell my Psychiatrist in order to get off this medicine?

Dr_Anderson : The Prozac all by itself would be reasonable. Other SSRI's would be good to consider, too, depending upon what you have been prescribed in the past.
Dr_Anderson : Tell him that you have gained weight, that you are tired all the time, and that you don't feel functional.
Dr_Anderson : For my patients who are just starting, I ask them to bear with it a few weeks to see if the sedation and weight gain pass.
Dr_Anderson : But in your case, you've been on it for 7 months, with the problem, so enough time has lapsed.
Dr_Anderson : Now, if you feel your depression is under control, you have a very compelling argument to suggest he remove the Zyprexa aspect of the treatment in favor of just the Prozac.
Customer:

Okay i believe i was on a a different antidepressant before i think in had nor epinephrine in it i dont think it was an ssri

Dr_Anderson : Probably Cymbalta, Effexor, Pristiq, or Wellbutrin, then.
Customer:

Effexor yes that was it! wow im glad you know your stuff, i liked that medicine i felt more happy and energized on it not weighed down

Dr_Anderson : Why was it changed?
Customer:

I cannot remember why exactly . i think i got off it because i would be like dizziness and have weird thoughts

Dr_Anderson : Those are common side effects if a person forgets to take the medicine at the same time each day, or if the dose is too high.
Dr_Anderson : So, it seems reasonable to ask your doctor to put you on just Prozac, all by itself, with Wellbutrin or Cymbalta as back-up meds if that doesn't work.
Customer:

I am going back to school in the fall and sometimes i have anxiety to where i cannot really talk or function when i would really like to participate

Customer:

what could i take or what could i do to fix college classroom anxiety

Dr_Anderson : Prozac can help with that (social anxiety), at the right dose. It's actually quite good for that.
Customer:

it does both?

Dr_Anderson : You may require a dose higher than theo ne you are on right now, though, like 60 mg.
Dr_Anderson : Yup!
Customer:

wow

Dr_Anderson : A\Most antidepressant medications also work for anxiety because anxiety is also a serotonin issue, amongst other things.
Customer:

It seeems to be helping me now but the Zyprexa is weighing me down What would you recommend?

Dr_Anderson : Ha...weighing you down, good pun. :) I'd recommend asking your doctor to stop the Symbyax and do JUST the Prozac, but take it to 60 mg (it is usually 20 or 40 mg in Symbyax).
Customer:

haha thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do that i go back in a week

Customer:

thank you for your time i really appreciate your advise

Dr_Anderson : You are more than welcome! My pleasure to assist.
Dr_Anderson : Please let me know if I may be of further service, and please only rate this once you are happy your question has been answered!
Dr_Anderson : Best wishes. :)
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson
Customer:

Talk to you later Dr. Anderson :) Thanks again

Customer:

1

Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist