KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

I want to tell my psych and or doctor that I want to get on

I want to tell my psych and or doctor that I want to get on vyvanse but I'm afraid. Should I be? I'm already on Welbutrin xl 450 but I think I need something else.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.

KansasTherapist :

hello

Customer:

hi!

KansasTherapist :

Starting Vyvanse shouldn't be a problem. It is a non-amphetamine ADHD medication and is a good choice for adults.

Customer:

Well I have not seen a psych yet...I will this week so I wanted to ask them about adding that to my wellbutrin. I think I'm afraid to ask them though because adhd meds are so controversial

Customer:

But I feel like it has really helped me before as far as motivation and stabalizing my mood

KansasTherapist :

Amphetamine ADHD meds are a bit controversial for adults. Vyvanse and Strattera where both developed as another class to be used by adults.

KansasTherapist :

I do want to tell you something about Wellbutrin though.

Customer:

ok...

KansasTherapist :

I read recently that the drug company fudges the testing that showed it improves attention. The most recent study indicates that it doesn't help/

Customer:

That is interesting because I feel like it hasn't helped me lately. I felt like it did a year ago when I first started but now I'm just exhausted all the time

Customer:

what do you think about the combo of wellbutrin and vyvanse?

KansasTherapist :

Wellbutrin is fine if you

KansasTherapist :

you're treating depression and it shouldn't be a problem with vyvanse.

Customer:

I'm also not adhd as far as I know. I have never been tested but the vyvnse helps with my depression

KansasTherapist :

oh, I haven't heard that before.

KansasTherapist :

If you have having trouble with tiredness and lack of motivation, Abilify is good to add with Wellbutrin..

Customer:

Well, I suppose because I have not motivation. I have been on many anti-dperessants in the past. Adding the vyvanse has really helped me with getting through the day

Customer:

Ok, this is good information. I just want to know all my options.

KansasTherapist :

I started taking Abilify in Jan. and I really like it.

Customer:

vyvanse has been an upper for me and I don't crash from it either.

Customer:

Did it help with tiredness and motivation?

Customer:

It's funny because this is the first time Abilify has been mentioned. I'm always googling this stuff and that NEVER comes up so I'll look into it

KansasTherapist :

That was the problem I was having. My depression was doing better with Wellbutrin and Effexor but I had zero motivation. Abilify was a great help.

KansasTherapist :

It's approved by FDA to use with antidepressants.

Customer:

So, I should just be open with my psych?

Customer:

even about the possibility of vyvanse?

KansasTherapist :

Yes, even the Vyvanse should be okay to take if it has worked for you in the past. It's not a controlled substance.

Customer:

Awesome. I think that's what I'm most afraid of is to just even ask about it.

KansasTherapist :

Hopefully, your psych is open minded enough to listen to you.

Customer:

I'm afraid they will think I'm some kind of addict or fiend

KansasTherapist :

Vyvanse isn't addictive.

Customer:

Here's hoping I get an open minded one!

Customer:

Thank you so much. I feel much better about talking about this.

KansasTherapist :

You're completely welcome.

Customer:

It's funny because I work with Doctor's everyday but I refuse to ask them anything!

Customer:

I don't want them judging me

KansasTherapist :

No one likes to feel judged.

Customer:

Thanks again and have a great day!

KansasTherapist :

Thanks

KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.