Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, Am I doing the right thing? I have another

Dear Dr. Keane, Am I doing the right thing? I have another GP appointment for in a few weeks time. As much as I don’t like the fact that I have to take the medication, I suppose I will try some more, just for a little bit longer to see if they get rid of the PMT symptoms once and for all. I am anxious about seeing the GP again. No, perhaps not anxious, more sort that feeling you get when you think you must be such a disappointment that there are certain things that go wrong that are related to mood. It’s so different if it is related to a physical injury. No one judges you then and there isn’t the feeling of people being judgemental. I decided after a long hard think about what you had said and decided to stick with the same GP, even though I am not sure of her and I got the impression she was judging me, but I will see how it goes. I imagine it would be different from last time as it’s a repeat prescription. I may try one more course on the same routine I am now for perhaps another 2-3 months. I don’t especially like them but then it makes things better for everyone else so that’s got to be worth it, even though I get a little upset thinking about them and taking them, but I suppose they do what they are supposed to do. Means tendency to comfort eat is lower, although mostly that's down to your help and support much, much more than the medication. I still get a bit anxious that I could go down that road but I really do not want to again and the fact that there is no way I want to start un-doing all the hard work you put in to helping and supporting me helps a lot to keep me from doing that.

Dr.Keane :

First, the medication has to make things right for you, not for everyone else. You are the one taking it, you aren't taking it to please others, you are taking it to make you feel less angst. As for the GP judging you, she isn't. She may be trying to get a good idea of your history and what you are experiencing, but that isn't judging. She sees a lot of patients and believe me, as much as you think she may be judging and thinking about you, she isn't. You are a patient and she is doing her job. That doesn't mean she doesn't care, it means she is doing what she needs to help you feel better.

Dr.Keane :

As for doing the right thing, only you can answer that and you know deep down what that is. If you didn't you wouldn't have gone in the first place. If you feel better then you have your answer.

Customer: