Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane, Ive had an invite to the funeral

Dear Dr. Keane, I've had an invite to the funeral. A friend of mine reckons, from her experience that it may help bring closure and help with the grieving process. What's your opinion on that? I probably will attend. I've only ever been to 1 funeral before and I was there also more as a comfort and support to the family, although it was all very sad, so, do you think what my friend is saying is right? I mean I trust her judgement but would also like your opinion. Also, if you have ever experienced grief too, then I too send my sympathies to you.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, it is a personal decision whether to attend or not, how will you feel if you go? if you don't go. It may not bring "closure" since that takes time but it may be a gratifying experiencing in that you will be able to show your the family your support by being there. Remember, funerals are for the living. If you feel it would help and consoling to them and yourself, then by all means go. I think your friend is correct in that it helps with the process of grief. Everyone grieves differently so do what you feel.