TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

How do I clear my mind of bad thoughts? Im wondering if

How do I clear my mind of bad thoughts?

Im wondering if theres a way to completly remove mental illness and bad thoughts from my mind..

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

.

The best way to deal with negative thoughts is to practice something called thought stopping. With thought stopping, you can change what you think through saying "stop" to yourself each time you have a thought that bothers you or you can wear a rubber band around your wrist and snap it (lightly) each time you have the thought. By doing this, you can teach yourself to automatically stop the thoughts, even as they begin to enter your mind.

You can also learn to accept the thoughts and stop resisting them. By accepting them, you take away their power. When you resist a thought, it makes that thought stronger. For example, you are on a diet, but you decide after dinner you want a cookie. The thought stays with you until you eat that cookie. If you try to resist, all you can think about is eating a cookie. But if you accept the thought, it does not create that resistance you had before. Then you can decide if it is worth the calories to have one or if you can try to do something else instead.

Also, by accepting the thoughts, you can tell yourself that these are only thoughts and they cannot hurt you. You can think anything you want but unless you intend on taking action or reacting to the thought, then the only thing you are doing is thinking. That does not hurt anything.

Depending on the mental illness you are talking about, you can treat most illnesses and either experience a great reduction in symptoms or completely rid yourself of symptoms. Therapy is the best treatment for most illnesses. Medication can help to alleviate symptoms until therapy begins to make a difference. The key is to find a therapist you can work with and along with sessions, work on your symptoms through self help and support groups.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

I just wanted to say thank you so very much for your rating and the bonus! I am floored :) That was so kind of you and I appreciate it. Thanks again.

Kate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome :)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here