DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.

Hi! My son, 28 is a grad student and has been Dx with OCD,

Customer Question

Hi! My son, 28 is a grad student and has been Dx with OCD, depression, anxiety & has been on lexipro for 7 months with varying dosage of 10-20 mg once a day. Last month, he began to have suicidal thoughts so now the psychiatrist has put him on seraquelle from last 7/17 1/2 tablet for 4 days then 1 tablet from 7/22 evenings; also anti convulsive beginning 7/23 in the morning. His suicidal thoughts have subsided but he feels "dopey". He has been told he might be bipolar but this has not been confirmed. I'm having second thoughts about the Dx & wondering if I should get a second opinion?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 4 years ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

If the current psychiatrist does not or will not clearly explain to your son what his diagnosis(es) are, then consulting another professional is a good idea. You might want to consider a Psychologist for more comprehensive testing (Psychologists in addition to a clinical interview will also give written psychological tests that could help rule in or rule out Bipolar).

DrFee :

If your son does have Bipolar, then medication is necessary, however, perhaps a Psychiatrist who can help address the "dopey" issue is in order.

DrFee :

Please follow up with me if you would like.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks but we are currently seeking another professional for help. I'm finding that your advice although helpful, it is very difficult to obtain an effective plan of Tx without an accurate pt history. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  DrFee replied 4 years ago.

You are welcome --and you're right, it doesn't make sense to move forward with a treatment plan if you don't have a good diagnosis. I hope that you find someone that works well with your son so that you can move forward with confidence.

Thank you for your accept and take good care.

Dr. Fee