DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

depression is taking over

I've been struggling with depression and have started having suicidal thoughts. I've been calling around to referrals for the past 3 days and have been unable to find a place I can afford without insurance. I think I just need an anti-depressant to help me feel better. If I go to the emergency room and tell them about my suicidal thoughts, will they have to keep me? I don't know who else to ask for a prescription that doesn't require payment up front.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

The ER will only keep you if you are in immediate or "imminent" danger to harm yourself. Thoughts alone are not criteria enough for an involuntary hospitialization --there needs to be also a plan, means, and intent (i.e. you can't keep yourself safe).

DrFee :

There are some psychiatric ERs in some states --if there is one in your area I would suggest you go there.

DrFee :

I'm sorry that you've been having so much trouble finding help.

DrFee :

Hello --did what I said make sense to you?

Customer:

yes it did. thank you. If I have signs of being a self-harmer but tell them I can keep myself safe, my word is enough, correct?

DrFee :

Yes --but if you have any doubts yourself that you can't keep yourself safe, then I'd encourage you to do a voluntary admission.

Customer:

in a voluntary admission would I still be able to leave at any point if I decide to?

DrFee :

Yes

Customer:

ok thank you

DrFee :

You are welcome

DrFee :

I would ask first, by the way, if you can leave any time, don't take my word for it.

Customer:

ok good to know. is that something you think they could tell me over the phone. I just dont want to go in and get stuck

DrFee :

I understand that --but from what I understand a voluntary psych. admission is the same as a voluntary general hospital admission, but yes, I'd ask on the phone and they should be able to tell you how they in particular handle those situations.

Customer:

ok thanks for your feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead and go

DrFee :

I'd ask, "under what circumstances would you not immediately let me leave if I decide I want to?"

DrFee :

You are welcome

DrFee :

Patient rights should be readily available and in writing ---

Customer:

in a psych eval what do they do, do they do blood tests to see if you've taken anything, do you know?

DrFee :

I'm sorry that I don't know, but you could ask that on the phone as well.

Customer:

ok im done here thank you

DrFee :

You are welcome. Best wishes to you.