Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach
64783947

Ive had some stressful events in my life recently, but I just

Customer Question

I've had some stressful events in my life recently, but I just managed to get out of them somehow. I didn't consider myself to be a depressed person and thought I was pretty strong at dealing with situations. But then my parents came over to meet me, I met them after quite some time..and I felt terribly awkward, I felt as if I was just pretending to be happy, as if I didn't feel anything inside. After that, I don't know whether I've started to obsess about it or what, but I constantly started to feel as if my mind is blank with no feelings and thoughts. I am really worried and concerned about it. I don't feel like doing anything, nothing makes me happy, don't feel like talking to friends, and even if I talk I can barely form a sentence, and it really terrifies me when I mumble all the words. I wonder if it is depression or something else, coz I don't even feel sad, just empty and blank. I've been feeling like this for about 2 months now...help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

CoachJenK :

I am so glad you have decided to reach out here.

CoachJenK :

Tell me about these stressful events and if that coincides with you feeling as you have been.

Customer:

I had breakup with my bf last year and I was so over him but then I found out that he got married this April. I don't know why but I felt broken by that news

CoachJenK :

because it is sad to hear that.....the pressure comes from you thinking you shouldnt be sad about that.

Customer:

I guess so...as I started obsessing about him when I knew I shouldnt

CoachJenK :

even if we felt over him that knowledge of his marriage can kick up a lot of your own fears, worries anxieites about wanting marriage, etc

CoachJenK :

I think the numbness you feel is sadness....

CoachJenK :

and depression and it is not uncommon after dealing with some stressful events especially ones that bring up some personal emotions and desires.

Customer:

I don't know....I would say I don't even feel anything when I think about him now...it's just this not feeling that is bothering me

CoachJenK :

I think the not feeling is the depression...lack of desire to do things, difficulty speaking, going through the motions....

CoachJenK :

I know you are concerned about medication but we aren't even there yet in terms of whether you would need that. I would start with some individual counseling so you can have a place to get to these feelings that are buried behind the numbness

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks

CoachJenK :

where in Canada are you located?

Customer:

surrey, I actually flew back yestrday, i was in india for nine months working as a house physician there, i am a trained medical doctor actually

CoachJenK :

congratulations...that is some fantastic work.

CoachJenK :

so if you had a patient that was numb you would want them to have a place all their own to get to the underlying issues, right?

Customer:

maybe that makes it actually worse coz i've been going over all these psych books...

CoachJenK :

why worse?

Customer:

wondering if this is depression , ocd, even schizophrenia...i dunno...that scares me

CoachJenK :

remember when you went to medical school and you believed you had most of the diseases?

CoachJenK :

Try not to go down that route.

CoachJenK :

lets get you into some counseling so it can all be figured out.

Customer:

ok

CoachJenK :

surrey in toronto?

Customer:

no vancouver

CoachJenK :

ok let me do some looking

Customer:

ok

CoachJenK :

Maybe you have your own contacts but just in case here is a link to do a search locally. http://counsellingbc.com/directory.html

CoachJenK :

Since i am in the US I am less familiar with therapists in your area.

Customer:

thanks...i will look into that

CoachJenK :

but I think most important here is that you are reaching out and you deserve to be heard and it will get figured out.

Customer:

thanks for your help CoachJenK, I will consider counselling...hope it helps

Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach