DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.

I am dissociative and when alone I talk to myself as if I am another person especially whe

Customer Question

I am dissociative and when alone I talk to myself as if I am another person especially when I feel traumatized or shocked is this common?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 1 year ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

Have you been diagnosed with a dissociative disorder such as DIDNOS or DID ?

DrFee :

The behavior you describe would be common for someone with a dissociative disorder.

DrFee :

However, feeling "shocked" or "traumatized," at the experience of talking to an alter sounds distressing and disturbing --this is an area that I don't think you should just accept, but work to find help with.

DrFee :

I will recommend a good book for this, but ultimately, I would recommend a therapist who is experienced in working with dissociative disorders.

DrFee :

http://www.amazon.com/Coping-Trauma-Related-Dissociation-Training-Therapists/dp/039370646X

DrFee :

It's called Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation.

DrFee :

I see you are offline. We can chat when you return, or if we cannot connect live, I will follow up with you in the Q&A format. Please do not rate my answer until you can give a positive rating. I am willing to work with you until you are satisfied.

Customer: Yes I have been given the diagnosis, I am dissociative. I am not traumatized over talking to myself. I meant when I am sad, scared, worried I go to my mirror and talk to myself. When alone I carry on conversations. It helps me get my thoughts out. Is this common?
Customer: I don't think that I am another person but I do "take care of myself " as if another person would. I soothe myself alone. I talk out loud and answer as well;) I know that means I'm crazy, but I'm not.
Customer: I am sorry but since u went offline and I can't talk with you I will have to give you a negative review because I did not get a chance to QandA
DrFee :

We can still Q&A. The site was down for several hours, so I apologize for not being able to respond to you more quickly (not that I had anything to do with the site being down).

DrFee :

I hope that you will choose to continue to interact with me. And, you can re-rate at the end of our interaction (that's what the rating system is for --when the interaction is complete). My committment is to work with you until you can give a positive rating.

DrFee :

Anyway, I do not believe that talking to one's self makes one "crazy," rather it sounds like it's a very effective soothing and coping mechanism for you. In fact, I encourage people (not just dissociative people) to talk to themselves all of the time! Not everyone does it out loud, but lots of people talk to themselves in order to lower emotions, self-soothe, and problem solve. So, I would say yes, that is common.

DrFee :

Please follow up with me when you get this message ---

Customer:

Thank you for your reply

DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
Expert:  DrFee replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Please feel free to add to the conversation if you want to --at no additional cost --I would be happy to reply again.