Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My supervisor downrated me in my annual evaluationas I approached

Customer Question

My supervisor downrated me in my annual evaluationas I approached my 33rd anniversary at the job with as far as I could discern absolutely no advance warning. Even there had been a lot of friction between us, the day she handed me my evaluation she acted extremely -- and I do mean extremely -- upbeat as if she was converying only the greatest of news. When I opened it, I was literally shocked -- not only that I had been downrated with no advance notice or opportunity to make improvements but even more so that my supervisor seemed to take so much delight in what she knew from prior conversations would have been devastating news. By all appearances, she was delighting in my pain. When I went to talk to her briefly about it, she was totally chilly in her response and offered not one word of empathy (which would have undermined her rating even if she thought it was legtimate) nor any encouragement, suggestion, or plan about how I could be restored to the rating that I had worked for and earned for several years. I am having a very hard time getting beyond what by all appearances appears to be clearly unempathic, even sadistic, behavior on her part. Can you give me any insight about what was going on here, what kind of person I am dealing with, and I am can move on emotioanlly, even though I am still assigned this same supervisor. Many thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your situation. I cannot imagine how overwhelmingly frustrating it could be to receive such an evaluation after having worked there for so long and in the way it was done by your supervisor.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You mentioned you were having there a lot of friction between you, and apparently no resolution not productive improvement from it.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Wen you show your shock because there was no warning about this serious situation is reasonable and fair. Most companies in the US do have clear policies about right procedures employees and supervisors0management must follow in cases like this. Performance, compliance and productivity are the core of every business, that's why these regulations and manuals exist, and management make it clear they must be folowed.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The first issue that seems clear here, is how after so many years you get this type of treatment from a supervisor. You know the rules very well since you have been there for long, and she is a supervisor so she knows the rules. Then it would be about her lack of competency as part of management and lack of integrity because of her approach, which seems abusive and retaliatory considering your past frictions.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A supervisor's role is not to punish employees but to teach, support, monitor, guide, and make the whole organization work in healthy and productive ways. If a supervisor cannot show concrete efforts and actions taken to support an employee with performance or compliance issues, then such supervisor is not a good supervisor. You as a senior employee, have the right to request support on assessing this situation, including any of this supervisor's personal / professional issues undermining her compliance and good performance there, and her impact on employees like in this case.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is about you taking full responsibility for your own work and faults, but also to address the responsibility and deficiencies of this supervisor limiting your ability and means to make necessary adjustments and improvements.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please do request meeting with upper level supervisor in order to discuss about these issues so for you to get necessary support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for your trust.

Customer:

Hello, I am a customer service representative posting on behalf of the customer who is unable to view the chat. Please click on the 'Switch to Q&A' link at the top of the page to change the format of the page from Live Chat to Q&A so that the customer can access your reply and also please repost your reply as a new answer or info request. Thank you.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you.

It sounds like the supervisor you are working with has brought her personal issues to work and is taking them out on you. It could be that she is very angry as a person and finds that taking these feelings out makes her seem to feel better. Or she could have a very poor self esteem and is trying to make you feel bad so she feels better. This never works because the person never ends up feeling better except for a very short time.
It is difficult to work with a supervisor who is unable to keep her personal issues out of work and out of her evaluation of your job. Her job is to be objective and to evaluate you on your ability to complete the requirements of the job. Her personal feelings are not supposed to be part of your evaluation.

As a result, her actions are making your job very difficult. And that eventually affects your ability to do your best work. And after 33 years on the job, it is very unlikely that your ability to do your work has changed so her evaluation stands out as untrue and unfair. But depending on the company and the type of people they employ, this may go unnoticed and you become a target.

If you can, try to find someone in the higher levels of your company who can address this issue. See if they will compare your work and evaluations from before this supervisor came on to the evaluations since she has started. The evidence should be clear. Also, you may want to consider going to Human Resources and the EEOC to get advice on how to handle this supervisor and the effects of what she is doing to you and your ability to do your job. Try to keep your feelings out of it as much as you can. The more level headed you appear, the less she seems competent and objective.

I hope this helps,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.